Using the Maxx in direct sunlight?

alboboy10

Reaction score
Yea the bionic is the best screen in sunlight but that's about the only thing good thing about its screen. Its very grainy when its used in dark rooms or slightly dark

My nexus is amoled but because of the way the pixels are arranged I think the nexus has an advantage in the sun and isn't bad at all. I can confirm this because I work outside all the time and with medium light I can see the phone very clearly and even in low light settings the screen is amazing.

You won't have luck with any other led screens in the sun though.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Auto brightness is the answer!

OK I live in the Central valley on the left coast. Today it was an 90% sunny brisk January morning with some high altitude haze.

The display was fine I could make it flare on purpose by reflecting sunlight, (like reflecting sunlight with a mirror back into your eyes.)
but a little twist to the left or right I could make the screen become completely visible.

One trick is to turn towards the sun and angle the top of the display back towards you which put it's face in shadow, neat.

The only thing is at work at night I really think the display looks best at minimal brightness, at night I find Auto too bright.

Is there smart action that is timed?
Every day I love it phone more and more.

Last edited:
OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
Those are great tips, Johnny. Thanks! Got my Maxx today, and I can confirm that the Super Amoled screen on the Maxx is far, far superior in sunlight to the Amoled on my Incredible. Very happy with this phone.

Cinoib

Reaction score
I have had a Bionic since day one (back in September...). When you step into a Verizon store and compare the Bionic screen to the Razr, the Bionic is noticeably less brilliant. When you compare it to the HTC Rezound, it's even disappointing (the screen on the Bionic). Compared to the Nexus, it's still not that great. But when you step outside, the Bionic is hands down the best screen available right now.

I spend all day out of doors. I bought the extended battery from Verizon. I have rooted and SqLited my Bionic. I am currently running 5.5.893 (waiting for whatever OTA is next).

I do want to buy the Razr Maxx but the blue green cast to the screen and the reports of broken screens have kept my in my Bionic. I am sure the Maxx is a better phone then the non maxx in that it's thicker and less prone to a broken screen. If I could comfortably switch the Micro Sim for the standard Sim that comes in my Bionic, I'd buy the Maxx and just play back and forth. I know..., you can use that punch thing and swap the sims but right now, that's not an option for me.

So, with regards to a phone that is usable in the bright sunlight, I will stay with the Bionic. Now if the Razr would offer the screen that is in the Atrix 2, or better yet would run ICS, I'd make the switch. I am going to wait until Moto tosses out their first quad core 312 ppi non Pen Tile screen before I buy another phone. Given the onslot of phones Moto introduced in our recent past, I doubt we'll see much from them in the near future. In fact, their might be mutiny on the bow from Razr owners who got hoodwinked by Moto selling the Razr Maxx. So my guess is that I'll have my Bionic for at least a year.

By the way, anyone interested in Super Amoled Plus screens out doors, forget about it. I will put my Bionic next to anything offered by Samsung any day for durability and ease of view out of doors any time.

The only one I would even be half tempted to buy would be the Nexus if it offered a better battery and a Super Amoled Plus screen and a metal case (as is the case for the Bionic and the Razr Maxx).

So in sum, if you spend a lot of time out of doors, at least look at a Bionic outside rather then in the store. It does have a superior brighter screen!

It's funny how everyone hates on the bionic screen, but they hate that they can't see their cell phone's screen in sunlight. I guess some people would rather be able to watch high definition movies on their phone than to be able to use their phone outside on a sunny day. My screen is crystal clear in direct sunlight with or without sunglasses. I know you all are talking about the razr here, but keep that in mind next time you read on here about the "horrible" bionic screen.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
I DID look at the Bionic, and its screen IS better outdoors than that on the Razr. If I spent most of my time outdoors, I'd seriously consider the Bionic. For someone like myself who uses the phone mostly indoors, however, the Razr is hard to beat for (imho) the following reasons:

1) While not as good outdoors as the Bionic, it's leagues ahead of my Incredible. AND, with Johnny's tips, it's even better;

2) The build quality on this phone is exceptional. I've never had a phone that feels this solid, and with the Kevlar backing, the Gorilla Glass, and the sealed battery (making it virtually waterproof), it'll take more punishment than just about any phone out there;

3) The battery...Oh...My...God. I'm in heaven with this thing. I could literally watch the battery meter go down with my Incredible. I carried two extra batteries with me to keep it going through the day. With the Maxx, I've gone through two days of fairly heavy use, and I'm still at 60%. Before I got this phone, I was initially concerned that the battery could not be removed. Not any more!!

4) I didn't realize how much faster 4LTE was than 3G. It's really amazing!

5) The Maxx is easily rooted.

So, in summary, I'll take the somewhat lower screen performance outdoors when compared to the Bionic. This phone seriously, seriously rocks!!

equake

Reaction score
All Pentile RGBW screens will be better in direct sunlight because of the extra W subpixel. SuperAMOLEDs do pretty well compared to IPS LCD screens because of their higher contrast and default properties.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've read that in some online reviews, but I'm really interested in the Razr...

Unless it's the form factor of the Razr that intrigues you, there is really no huge difference between the platforms. IMHO, the outdoor readability is worth the tradeoff, maybe not so much to some folks. But if it is a very important factor, the Bionic may just be the device for you.

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
^^^

See post 21 above. I love my Maxxx, as I know you love your Bionic. :icon_ lala: