Using the Maxx in direct sunlight?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by rosariorose9, Jan 29, 2012.

1. rosariorose9

rosariorose9 Member

My two complaints about my Incredible were its battery life ( I'm confident that the Maxx will be much better) and how poor the screen was in direct sunlight - where it was basically un-viewable. :blink: So, anyone used their Razr in direct sunlight? How did it look?
  2. MaXGTS

MaXGTS New Member

It's cloudy here today. As soon as it's bright outside, I'll take my Maxx for a walk and let you know.
  3. rosariorose9

rosariorose9 Member

^^^

Thank you, my friend! I'm hopeful that the super amoled screen on the Maxx will at least be useable in sunlight. The amoled screen on my Incredible is HORRIBLE in the sunlight...
  4. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

I really want to know, too. That has been my #1 complaint for my phone.
  5. rosariorose9

rosariorose9 Member

Agreed! I know that the battery life issue has been addressed with the Maxx, but without a screen that I can work with outdoors, the phone will not be a 'go' for me. My Incredible is a great phone, but outdoors it's totally useless...
  6. deduct

deduct Well-Known Member

Bionic has the best screen for viewing in direct sunlight.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC
  7. rosariorose9

rosariorose9 Member

I've read that in some online reviews, but I'm really interested in the Razr...
  8. RETG

RETG Member

I'm interested too, since AMOLEDs are noted to have poor sunlight visibility.
  9. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Well-Known Member

Not good, in direct sunlight it's washed out and nearly unreadable. Any shade at all and at max brightness you're shiny. I used my melon for shade all day.

This kinda sucks, cuz I work under artificial light my brightness is set to low.
    So when I step outside it's way too dim so I've have to poke blindly at my brightness icon until the screen is bright enough to see. I'll try auto and see if that helps.

Sent my new Droid Razr Maxx
  10. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

Thanks for your response. Let us know what you try and what your results are. Also, let us know where you live and how bright it is outside, if it's sunny or overcast, etc.

Even so, whatever settings you use, when I get my phone, I'm willing to charge the phone more often if I have to. The battery is gigantic in comparison to other phones out there so I'll take advantage of it just to see my phone in direct sunlight.

Edit: I rooted my Omnia 1 last year so I can have a more user-friendly interface. The downside of it was that I ended up killing my battery life. That, and well, my voicemail notifications don't show up unless I reboot the phone. I'm way past due for an upgrade, anyway! But, I tried using it in direct sunlight. I was able to make some progress by making some changes, but it was still virtually unreadable.
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  11. rjeatkrconley

rjeatkrconley New Member

I live in El Paso, TX. The "Sun City". My only complaint is I can't see the screen with my sun glasses on. I use the factory power control widget to change the screen brightness. At 100%, I can see the screen just fine in direct sunlight, as long as I lift my sun glasses.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  12. LegalAmerican

LegalAmerican New Member

It's funny how everyone hates on the bionic screen, but they hate that they can't see their cell phone's screen in sunlight. I guess some people would rather be able to watch high definition movies on their phone than to be able to use their phone outside on a sunny day. My screen is crystal clear in direct sunlight with or without sunglasses. I know you all are talking about the razr here, but keep that in mind next time you read on here about the "horrible" bionic screen.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  13. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

The DROID BIONIC forums are here, bro. No one cares about your trolling. Now lets keep this on topic. Thanks.
  14. deduct

deduct Well-Known Member

+ 1

Sent from my DROID BIONIC
  15. rosariorose9

rosariorose9 Member

Thank you to those who responded 'on point'.

Went into my Verizon store today, and asked if I could take a Maxx outside to check the visibility issue. Unfortunately, the Maxx was 'tethered' to the counter, so that was not possible. One of the salesmen owns a Razr, however, and he offered to bring it in tomorrow, so I'll check it out then and give my thoughts on this forum. In the meantime, he noted that his screen was not "great" outside, and so I asked him to accompany me outside and check out my Incredible screen. I showed him just how bad mine was. He laughed, and said "Man, that's CRAP. Yeah the Razr screen is definitely better than that!" I was encouraged by that, and after playing with the Maxx in the store, I REALLY hope it looks ok outside, because it's a very impressive phone.
  16. Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule New Member

Bionic is the best phone I've used in direct sun light, very impressive.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  17. alboboy10

alboboy10 New Member

Yea the bionic is the best screen in sunlight but that's about the only thing good thing about its screen. Its very grainy when its used in dark rooms or slightly dark

My nexus is amoled but because of the way the pixels are arranged I think the nexus has an advantage in the sun and isn't bad at all. I can confirm this because I work outside all the time and with medium light I can see the phone very clearly and even in low light settings the screen is amazing.

You won't have luck with any other led screens in the sun though.
  18. JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK Well-Known Member

Auto brightness is the answer!

OK I live in the Central valley on the left coast. Today it was an 90% sunny brisk January morning with some high altitude haze.

The display was fine I could make it flare on purpose by reflecting sunlight, (like reflecting sunlight with a mirror back into your eyes.)
    but a little twist to the left or right I could make the screen become completely visible.

One trick is to turn towards the sun and angle the top of the display back towards you which put it's face in shadow, neat.

The only thing is at work at night I really think the display looks best at minimal brightness, at night I find Auto too bright.

Is there smart action that is timed?
    Every day I love it phone more and more.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  19. rosariorose9

rosariorose9 Member

Those are great tips, Johnny. Thanks! Got my Maxx today, and I can confirm that the Super Amoled screen on the Maxx is far, far superior in sunlight to the Amoled on my Incredible. Very happy with this phone.
  20. Cinoib

Cinoib New Member

I have had a Bionic since day one (back in September...). When you step into a Verizon store and compare the Bionic screen to the Razr, the Bionic is noticeably less brilliant. When you compare it to the HTC Rezound, it's even disappointing (the screen on the Bionic). Compared to the Nexus, it's still not that great. But when you step outside, the Bionic is hands down the best screen available right now.

I spend all day out of doors. I bought the extended battery from Verizon. I have rooted and SqLited my Bionic. I am currently running 5.5.893 (waiting for whatever OTA is next).

I do want to buy the Razr Maxx but the blue green cast to the screen and the reports of broken screens have kept my in my Bionic. I am sure the Maxx is a better phone then the non maxx in that it's thicker and less prone to a broken screen. If I could comfortably switch the Micro Sim for the standard Sim that comes in my Bionic, I'd buy the Maxx and just play back and forth. I know..., you can use that punch thing and swap the sims but right now, that's not an option for me.

So, with regards to a phone that is usable in the bright sunlight, I will stay with the Bionic. Now if the Razr would offer the screen that is in the Atrix 2, or better yet would run ICS, I'd make the switch. I am going to wait until Moto tosses out their first quad core 312 ppi non Pen Tile screen before I buy another phone. Given the onslot of phones Moto introduced in our recent past, I doubt we'll see much from them in the near future. In fact, their might be mutiny on the bow from Razr owners who got hoodwinked by Moto selling the Razr Maxx. So my guess is that I'll have my Bionic for at least a year.

By the way, anyone interested in Super Amoled Plus screens out doors, forget about it. I will put my Bionic next to anything offered by Samsung any day for durability and ease of view out of doors any time.

The only one I would even be half tempted to buy would be the Nexus if it offered a better battery and a Super Amoled Plus screen and a metal case (as is the case for the Bionic and the Razr Maxx).

So in sum, if you spend a lot of time out of doors, at least look at a Bionic outside rather then in the store. It does have a superior brighter screen!

Search tags for this page
can you see the droid maxx screen in the sunlight
can't see droid razr maxx screen in bright light
droid maxx display in sunlight

droid maxx screen visibility in sunlight

droid razor cant see in sunlight

droid razor m bright sunlight
droid razr m seeing the screen in the bright sunlight

droid razr miaxx hd in sunlight

how to make droid razr screen visible in sun

how to read screen on droid razr in sunlight

is the screen on droid maxx viewable outdoors