1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Using SetCPU or GEM Settings

Discussion in 'cvpcs' started by dberezin, Oct 6, 2010.

1. dberezin

dberezin New Member

I'm currently using SetCPU because I like the profiles feature. I was looking at the GEM settings on my phone (using Sapphire 1.1.0) and saw the Enable CPU frequency scaling was enabled and the governor was set to ondemand.

If I'm using SetCPU, should I disable the one in GEM settings? Are they stepping on each other? Does it make a difference?

Thanks in advance.
  2. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

I hear that SetCPU will override whatever ROM cpu settings you use. I am unsure with this ROM but pretty sure also.

I use SetCPU because of profiles myself too.
  3. Armyof2

Armyof2 New Member

SetCPU and the Gem settings do the same thing essentially, setcpu just gives you the option of having profiles. SetCPU will override Gem so there is no harm either way whether you turn it off in gem or not.
  4. dberezin

dberezin New Member

Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure there was no interference with each other if they are both on. I think the profiles are a good idea. I'm using:

Screen Off = 250 - 400 Priority 100
    Temp > 44.9 C = 250 - 550 Priority 90
    Charging/Full = 250 - 800 Priority 80
    Battery < 21% = 250 - 550 Priority 70
    Battery < 40% = 250 - 600 Priority 60

Seems to be working pretty good for me right now using the LV kernel.
  5. Armyof2

Armyof2 New Member

Lookin good..should give you som good battery time
  6. dberezin

dberezin New Member

It is pretty good. I'm not a real heavy user, but I unplug about 7:00 AM and I'm down to about 50% by 10:00 PM. Battery temp usually moves around from 77 to 84 degrees.

Still debating on the LV vs SV kernel. Does the LV "struggle" more launching apps? Who knows. Both were pretty stable. Just not sure which one gets the better battery life. Maybe I'm being too nit-picky! :blink:
  7. vmspionage

vmspionage New Member

If the LV is stable then use that - the only difference is that some processors can get away with reduced voltage and some cannot. If there are no stability issues then it will perform exactly the same, with the exception of reduced heat and increased battery life for the low voltage kernel.
  8. SDraconis

SDraconis New Member

That's the general jist, but not 100% accurate. You can also get into an "error correction" state due to too little voltage where the phone may heat up and/or have some lag, but is otherwise "stable" in terms of whether or not apps crash/FC.
  9. vmspionage

vmspionage New Member

true, good point
  10. dberezin

dberezin New Member

So I kinda had the right idea when I said that apps can "struggle" because of the lower voltage. By struggle, I mean in the form of lagging and possibly the CPU heating up because of overworking itself (not getting enough voltage). Neither the LV or the SV that came with the ROM have been unstable - I've gotten no FC's.

Just a matter of playing around with them.
  11. wingdo

wingdo New Member

SetCPU also gives you the opportunity to overwrite the default "advanced" settings. These are the settings which determine how often the CPU is polled and at what load level the speeds will ramp up. Some kernels vary wildly in those numbers. Just in cvpcs's kernels I've seen some "on demands" revert to a 50% load before ramping up to a higher speed, and other on demands are set to 93%.
  12. dfabbeb

dfabbeb New Member

That makes sense. Is there any way of determining that this is happening, though? Any particular stress test that would show it?
  13. vmspionage

vmspionage New Member

SetCPU stress test will report errors
  14. SDraconis

SDraconis New Member

From the SkullOne's Overclocking 101 thread:
  15. dberezin

dberezin New Member

I switched back to the SV 250-800 (from the LV 250-800) after I started this thread. My personal, non-scientific observations has shown that my Droid seems to run cooler and be a little "snappier". I just unplugged from my wall charger this morning and SetCPU shows my battery at 73.4 degrees and OMAP3 Temp at 68 degrees.

My temperatures tend to stay down with the SV kernel.

I also begrudgingly switched from Launcher Pro Plus (I paid for the app) to ADW Launcher. For some reason, I was getting a LOT of home screen redraws and with ADW with System Persistent selected, this is not happening. But that's a topic for another thread...
  16. jrredho

jrredho New Member

Hey All,

I'm almost totally ignorant on all things Droid, and I really hate it that I'm reviving an old topic, but here goes: I rooted my OG Droid several months ago with the sole purpose of overclocking it. I first flashed SPrecovery, then went the path of a installing couple of update.zip files, first for root, I believe, then an overclocked kernel. Finally, I installed and set up setcpu along with some profiles.

Eventually, I got the notion to get a bit more adventurous and just installed Sapphire 2.0.2 and worked my way up to installing the 125-1000MHz/7 slot/IV kernel. Naturally, I used Titanium Backup, so I re-installed setcpu with my same setcpu profile set. I also set the Gem Settings options for overclocking to on.

Okay, now for my question....

...my very basic understanding is that this is now incorrect. I had my Droid plugged in to AC, and verified that it was charging and was at 80%. The only profile that should have been active among my list was the "Charging/AC" that I had set to be 125/400MHz. But, upon looking at the setcpu info page, the device was operating at 550MHz.

Do the setcpu profiles no longer supercede the Gem overclocking settings?

many thanks!

john
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2011