Using SD-ext to extend the internal SD

OP
bassman1547

bassman1547

Reaction score
The Bionic (at least when it first came out) has two 16 GB SD memory cards. One is a fixed Internal (called SD on apps like Astro) and the other is a removable External (called SD-EXT). The internal card is partitioned; 4 GB for the OS and is untouchable, another 4 GB for apps (compared to the OG Droid with a mere 256 MB that's immense) with the remaining 8 GB for what is called the "Media area." When you go to Menu>Manage Apps and select an app, you may see the option to move it there. Some apps already use that to store the data. For example, Dungeon Hunter II may be only a 22 MB app, but in order for it to run you have to download an additional 485 MB, which is put in the "Media area." The External 16 GB card is upgradable to 32 MB, although some have gotten a 64 MB card to work.

There's several memory apps, but a nice free one is Disk Usage. It shows you what's taking up room in all 3 areas, your apps, Media area and SD-EXT. Another is APP 2 SD (available in free or paid versions), which checks each app as you install (or update) to see if it can be moved. It also shows all your apps and has an "X" if it can't be moved.

You know, that does not make any sense to me that Motorola would set it up like that! I get what your saying and believe it is spot on, but it annoys me anyway.Ha Ha.:mad:

OP
bassman1547

bassman1547

Reaction score