Using SD Card?

MrWilliams

Reaction score
So, my DX2 doesn't appear to be using the 8gb SD card for anything... everything I tell it to store on the memory card goes to the internal 4gb partition. What gives?

densetsu86

Reaction score
i have that same issue and other then the fact that the default music app reads songs from an old sdcard that i own (also 8gb) i have no access to it. all apps psx4droid moboplayer, vital player, act 1 player (i just got it) thinks that my internal storage is the sd card cause i click on sd card stuff andi see my internal storage folders.

this is beyond fustrating.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Same issue.

densetsu86

Reaction score
I figured it out. Its quite horrible how motor setup the names. The sd card that you have bought or came with it is called sdcard-ext. The sdcard that the system says is the internal memory. For most apparently that I used so far you just need to hit the back button in the directory to go up on folder level and then you'll see two folders, one called sdcard and the other sdcard-ext. Just choose the sdcard-ext and you'll now have access to all your files.

Its a retarded naming scheme I know.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

igknight

Reaction score
I did a Post on this issue a while ago. Moto messed this one up horribly.

Thanks to jmars125 for pointing me to the XDA forms post on how to fix it.

Basically, if you know anything about linux, all you have to do is remap the mnt points, or for Windows people, rename the drive letters.

If you are rooted, and if you have Root Explorer installed navigate to /etc/, mount it as read/write, and edit the file vold.fstab

In there you will see a spot like:
Code:
# external sd card
dev_mount sdcard-ext /mnt/sdcard-ext:none:lun1 auto /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2 /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc1

# Internal eMMC
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard 18 /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.3/mmc_host/mmc0
Change it to something like this:
Code:
# external sd card
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard:none:lun1 auto  /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc2  /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.2/mmc_host/mmc1

# Internal eMMC
dev_mount sdcard-ext /mnt/sdcard-ext 18 /devices/platform/tegra-sdhci.3/mmc_host/mmc0
Save it (makes a backup), mount as Read Only, reboot and you should be all set. All your doing is changing the original sdcard label in the above part to sdcard-ext, and the original sdcard-ext to sdcard.

vvildcard

Reaction score
Note that if you do this, your apps may break due to info that was on /mnt/sdcard now being on /mnt/sdcard-ext and vice versa. You'll need to fix your links in the programs themselves, or copy the data to between the two mount points.

igknight

Reaction score
Good point, I did it almost at the beginning, and all my programs were looking for the data on my external sdcard where it actually was (from my other phone) so I didn't have an issue with that as most programs are hard coded for /sdcard/

igknight

Reaction score
Don't think its possible. You have to change system level files that are only editable if you have total control over the system itself.