Using SD Card as SWAP - How?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by flameboy, Dec 15, 2009.

1. flameboy

flameboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I know this is possible, my friends with rooted G1s do it, and they have a million programs running and can switch between them without any lag whatsoever.

How do I go about doing this on my rooted droid? The one app I found in the market "Swapper for root users" doesn't work on the Droid.

I heard there was a way to do this manually by formatting a swap partition on your SD card, does anybody have a guide to doing this?

Also, does anybody know if the SD card that ships with the Droid is fast enough to be used as a swap?
  2. StiKemUp

StiKemUp New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The microSD card that comes with the phone is a class 2, they recommend at least class 4 for things like this.

Don't know if they still have it going on, but I ordered a 16GB class 6 microSD card on sale for $45 (xmas special thing) in preparation for Apps2SD, SWAP on the SD, etc.

Edit: Sale was with NewEgg
  3. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    is the class just like the quality of it?
    so is someone working on it then? thats pretty awesome (but it will eventually hurt the card wont it?, thats ok, cuz its a cheap card)
  4. StiKemUp

StiKemUp New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Class determines how fast data can read/write to the card:

Class 2 - 2 MB/s
    Class 4 - 4 MB/s
    Class 6 - 6 MB/s
  5. flameboy

flameboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can you post a link to the sale? All I can find is RiDATA Lightning Series 16GB Micro SDHC (MicroSD) for $52

And also does this mean there is currently not a way to use the SD card as swap on the Droid?

6. pandroid

pandroid Theme Developer Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    nope, the current droid kernel does not support swap. we have to wait for a custom rom, i doubt verizon will implement it in the future.

i cant find the 45$ 16gb class 6 on newegg either, but heres a link to a 46$ one at buy.com and it comes with a USB adapter

TOPRAM 16GB microSD microSDHC 16G Card Class 6 with SD Adapter and R10 Card Reader - TRmicroSD_C6_16G_R10b - Buy.com
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  7. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Keep in mind that excessive use of Flash Cards will have an impact on the card's lifespan.

I had a card for my PSP that died after extensive use. It does happen, so be prepaired to accept that.

My suggestion here is to have some form of backup if you plan to do this. WaveSecure (a security suite software thats free if you get it now) has an option to backup your messages, pictures and videos. Regularly backing up your data in such a manner will save you the heartache of losing valuable personal media, such as videos and pictures of your friends, family etc... Because once the card dies, thats it.

With that said, name brand high quality cards will probably be a better solution if you plan to do this. You get what you pay for and high quality parts might offer you longer life from the card under excessive or stressed conditions.

Please tell if someone is able to find a good deal on some high quality class 6 cards etc... As if I decided to do this I would rather save my money for a fast card, otherwise this is kinda useless and could degrade performance.
  8. Big Lou

Big Lou Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Try and buy cards from Japan and not Taiwan or China. It's nearly impossible to check for this online unless you can contact the seller directly, but if you pick one up in store, you should be able to locate the country of origin on the back.
  9. tktouch12

tktouch12 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is an old thread but now that we can make custom roms, how is this coming?
  10. nolsen311

nolsen311 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    need to be able to build a custom kernel first...still going to be a bit longer.

although since someone says they have tethering working, that implies that iptables has been added to the kernel. so it may be possible.

The original information about the SD cards is accurate, though. After having had a G1 (running SenseUI from Hero, which *required* Apps2SD and swap at first) and a 32a Magic (which did not) I can say that although swap would be helpful to resolve the rebooting with Live Wallpaper (probably), apps2SD won't really offer much of use to anyone using the MotoDroid. Although keeping your apps on it would ease re-installation it causes other headaches and easily causes confusion.
  11. tasmanian_droid

tasmanian_droid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well, i have swap, the 600MHz overdrive mode(that's what it's called in the source code), ext2/3/4 support, and iso support enabled in a custom kernel. One biggies is that it nukes wifi apparently.

The sholes team is suposed to release one with the overdrive mode that works with wifi sometime in the next few days and I was hoping to get their kernel config. Hopefully they recover from being hacked soon.

Let me know if you still want a copy.
  12. miamidroid

miamidroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm interested in a copy from sholes. Do you notice a difference in going from 550 to 600?
  13. tasmanian_droid

tasmanian_droid New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There was an improvement, benchmark times got a bit better.
    Framerate stayed the same.

As of now the Sholes kernel was planed to have just the overdrive and wifi tether. I just need their kernel config so that i can fix wifi on my custom one.
  14. nolsen311

nolsen311 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    most definitely interested in kernels with any extra features! I'd really like to get my mitts on those kernel configs, as I'd really like to merge Cyanogen's work with a droid kernel.

if anyone has an idea on where to get a target product for building android from source, that'd be fantastic as well.
  15. pandroid

pandroid Theme Developer Theme Developer

Ratings:
    +0
    someone go buy cyanogen a droid!
Search tags for this page
android swap function not implemented

android swapon function not implemented

android swapper config
function not implemented swapper 2

how to use swapper for root

how to use swapper for root android