Using root explorer without root?

xmguy

Reaction score
I'm sending a defective X back. I removed root using a one click PC root option. Can I use Root Explorer even if in read only to make sure all the root apps are gone?

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't believe so. It acts as only another file explorer without root. Good for pictures and music. You can look at files in apps from market, but no root system files.

AngelRyuxz

Reaction score
This is why I use cmd or phone TE cuz you make sure it gets unrooted. If you can't though, depending on your last update you could sbf it.

Sent from my DROIDX 2.2.1, system version 2.3.340 that is rooted using Tapatalk

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score
This is why I use cmd or phone TE cuz you make sure it gets unrooted. If you can't though, depending on your last update you could sbf it.

Ok. I think I'm gonna re root then use root explorer to remove the root apps. What are all the apps I need to look for and remove?
I've already put back the bloatware apps and set the permissions to make sure they are locked.

chkmate

Silver Member
Reaction score

Ok. I think I'm gonna re root then use root explorer to remove the root apps. What are all the apps I need to look for and remove?
I've already put back the bloatware apps and set the permissions to make sure they are locked.

The best way to check is when you re-root go through your apps and start them up. Whichever ask for SU Permission's is the ones you don't want on there.

-Root Explorer

-ROM Manager

-Set CPU or JRummy OC apps

-Boot Logo Changer apps

-Cachemate app

So on and so forth.

OP
xmguy

xmguy

Reaction score

The best way to check is when you re-root go through your apps and start them up. Whichever ask for SU Permission's is the ones you don't want on there.

-Root Explorer

-ROM Manager

-Set CPU or JRummy OC apps

-Boot Logo Changer apps

-Cachemate app

So on and so forth.

What I meant was the SU apps. What is needed in the FS for root.

EDIT: I used ADB Shell on my PC to remove the following.

/system/app/Superuser.apk
/system/bin/su
/system/bin/busybox

should that be enough?

SU is not on the phone.

EDIT again. I installed Root Explorer. I can "see" the root FS but no RW/RO setting is at the top and when I try to modify anything I get a RO warning. Also I did double check the SU apps from the bin and app dir are gone and SU is gone confimed with ADB shell on the PC.

Thanks to chkmate and the rest. I'm restoring the phone to factory settings and wiping the memory. It now is ready to send off to vzw.

Last edited:

scf

Reaction score
click on superuser, there you'll find a list of apps that are 'remembered' to be allowed to use root access.