Using rom manager?

boomerang

Reaction score
So I have a droid pro and just rooted using z4root. I did my clockwork recovery but it asked me what type phone I had and Pro wasn't listed so I picked Droid X. Was that the right thing to do?

andy'sfriend

Reaction score
Use the droid 2 clockwork.

You'll also need to install the droid 2 bootstapper and use the "reboot recovery" option to get into clockwork. You cannot get into clockwork from Rom Manager.

Have fun backing up!

OP
B

boomerang

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response! So I did the clockwork recovery using Droid2, then downloaded bootstrap and created a bootstrap recovery and then did a nandroid backup. Anything else I'm missing before I start messing around with my phone? Oh, two things, 1. Can I copy these backups to my computer? Should I? 2. So let me see if I'm understanding this correctly. The only way to really brick your droid is by changing/deleting something you shouldn't have? I'm not going to turn it on one day and it magically decides to brick itself just bc I'm rooted??

andy'sfriend

Reaction score
You're welcome.

1) You can copy the backups from your SD card to your computer. You don't need to, unless they start to fill up the card.

2) You phone will not "brick itself" merely because it's rooted. That will only happen if you screw around with the system files etc.

3) If you do brick your phone you will need to do a two step process to reinstall your backup because of the inability to boot right into clockwork on the pro. You'll first need to re-flash the phone with the sbf file (using the sbf file and rsd-lite, there are guides about this in other threads and elsewhere on the net) in order to get the phone working again and back to it's factory/stock conditition. Second, you'll then want to reinstall clockwork and the droid 2 bootstrapper to flash your back-up that you had made and saved on the sd-card. You may not need to do the second step if you didnt erase your user-data/settings in the process of bricking or reflashing the phone.

I am sure other forum members will have something to say about all this. If any one knows how to boot into clockwork on a bricked pro, please post and clear this issue up. Thanks.

OP
B

boomerang

Reaction score
Ok good on the brick thing bc I plan not to mess with that stuff. We will see. I needed to tether wirelessly and honestly don't understand much about all you can do rooted. I try not to mess with things unless I understand!

Big Thanks!

louy99

Reaction score
I recommend saving your backups on the computer. I hear a lot of people saying their SD cards go bad. If anything, back up your stock rom!

Liberated Droid2 Yo!!