Using rom manager to download bugless beast ROM.Do I need a separate kernal as well?

Discussion in 'Bugless' started by kermitdfrogdroid, Jul 31, 2010.

1. kermitdfrogdroid

kermitdfrogdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think im a little over my head with all this, But I am rooted, Now im downloading bugless beast v0.4 and Im wondering If when I install this is it install the kernal as well... Or if not where do I get the kernal to go with it? I want to use this rom and would like to overclock, so I need a higher clocked kernal... Its soo close tho, I can sense the fully rootedness approaching dancedroid

2. Taintphuck

Taintphuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    It comes with its own custom kernal already set to overclock to 800 mhz. I' using bb's newest ROM as well and so far it seems to be the best I've tried but I don't really see a dramatic difference in performance with the kernal it provides.

3. kermitdfrogdroid

kermitdfrogdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanksss you. I installed set cpu again, and it now shows 800mhz. I agree with you I dont see a dramatic increase in performace at all. Are there any other kernals I can use with this rom? I would like 1ghz. Buck I enjoy this rom and its features and stability. Only other thing is I also dont want to have to re-install all my programs and settings like I just did changing to this rom... That took forever and I lost some apps in the process.

4. Taintphuck

Taintphuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Try downloading Titanium backup from market, it backs up all your apps and user data. And can batch restore it after flashing a new ROM. As for the kernals, there is some trial and error involved from what I've read. I would try the "low voltage" or whatever 1000 mhz first. Chevy and P3 seem to be the main kernal developers, start with them.

5. kermitdfrogdroid

kermitdfrogdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    is it ok to install with bugless beast? I was reading that you must make sure the kernals are compatible with the roms before you install or else you could get errors and wind up in a boot loop with a brick.

6. airborne

airborne New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As long as the kernel says for froyo it will work. I use P3. I installed BB .4 1st, played around with it, then installed the kernel.

From what I seen P3 and Chevy seems to be the favorite around here.

7. BigZig

BigZig Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Same here Got BBv0.4 had stock kernel for a while just switched Chevy's 1 ghz med volt and it runs so much smoother

8. drumtrucker

drumtrucker Member

Ratings:
    +0
    see signature

9. kermitdfrogdroid

kermitdfrogdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hows the performance and battery life on the medium voltage versus the low voltage 1.1/1 Ghz kernels?

10. kermitdfrogdroid

kermitdfrogdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also Im having problems when ever I try to install my new kernel it re-installs my original bb4 rom... Help

Umm now when i open my app drawer... There are no apps in it AT ALL.... what happend? Do I restore last working rom? Im trying to return to my last backed up rom hoping the apps will be restored.... I figured out why it wouldnt flash the kernel when I tried, its because it couldnt mount the SD card so it restarted then when clockwork came up it didnt have the kernel up already. I gotta delete my old update.zip from the sd then try againa nd hope it can mount this time... I hope my apps come back tho

Every time I try to flash the new kernel, when it boots to clockwork recovery it cannot mount the SD card... Why is this? Haha, well nvm I figured out it is a broken recovery or some other bug, I just have to select it manualy from the sd card it wont load it itself...

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010