Using Razr as Music player over Ipod

walt1909

Reaction score
You can hook up motocast and stream your music right from your computer using the "my music" icon. That way you don't have to install a larger external memory. I've been using it for my commute. The only downside is that you get charged for streaming, but it doesn't seem to use that much.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

boggerscbshop

Reaction score
I use my razr for everything. I stream slacker radio all day long and also download mp3's on free apps. I'm loving it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

SallyC

Reaction score
What class is the 16g SD that comes in the RAZR? I have a class 4 32g I was going to install. Is there a certain class that should be used?

According to https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/faq/ :

What are the applications for Speed Class?

Class 2 : H.264 video recording, MPEG-4, MPEG-2 video recording

Class 4: MEPG-2 (HDTV) video recording, digital still camera (DSC) consecutive photo shooting

Class 6: Mega-pixel DSC consecutive photo shooting, professional video camera

Class 10: Full HD video recording, HD still picture consecutive shooting

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
Stock player works fine for me, but I added MusiXmatch because it does the lyrics.

I sold my iPod 1 year after buying the OG Droid because I never used it. Ever.

OP
D
Reaction score
pulled out stock sd card amd didnt have a class on it. did antutu benchmark on write and read and write was 16.7 read was 26.4.. def above specs that even class 10 is or just about the same. dont wanna sit there forever waiting for the files to transfer to phone so i was looking at class 10 class 4 sounds just fine though.

probably not needed at all but where are the combatible 64gig ones? i seen the sdxc i thimk its called and might nkt work in our phones

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
pulled out stock sd card amd didnt have a class on it. did antutu benchmark on write and read and write was 16.7 read was 26.4.. def above specs that even class 10 is or just about the same. dont wanna sit there forever waiting for the files to transfer to phone so i was looking at class 10 class 4 sounds just fine though.

probably not needed at all but where are the combatible 64gig ones? i seen the sdxc i thimk its called and might nkt work in our phones

I seem to remember someone else here who is well respected (don't remember who) saying that the RAZR isn't able to transfer data faster than class 4 anyway and so his opinion was that a faster card was overkill.

OP
D
Reaction score
Just bought a 32Gig Class 6 for 12.97 from woot.com deals. funny thing was before I went onto woot, i was like hmm, wonder if theres a Micro sd card 32 gig. hit search and poof, there it was lol. guess i'll get it next week. Just curious also on battery life. Not much of an issue since i got charger at work and home but dont want it going from 80% to like 30% in an hour and half.

SallyC

Reaction score
I seem to remember someone else here who is well respected (don't remember who) saying that the RAZR isn't able to transfer data faster than class 4 anyway and so his opinion was that a faster card was overkill.

I had read that about Android, but never paid much attention. You got me wondering about this however so I searched around and found this on Moto's site. What speed and capacity SDcard does Android support? where it says:

Generally speaking, all of our Android phones that support microSD cards support SDHC (secure digital high capacity); SDHC refers to capacity. Most phones can support up to 32GB capacity SDHC SDcards.​
  • Android also supports high speed SDcards. High speed means that the bus runs up to 50MHz, which is 25MBytes per second. A rough understanding of the class system, is MBytes per second. So a Class 10 card will write up to 10 MBytes per second. Since the high speed bus can transfer data up to 25MBytes per second, we can support a class up to Class 25 (when those cards are available). Class 10 cards exist today, which we fully support.
So unless there is something specifically about the Razr that limits this functionality, it would seem our phones can utilize class 10 cards.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I had read that about Android, but never paid much attention. You got me wondering about this however so I searched around and found this on Moto's site. What speed and capacity SDcard does Android support? where it says:

Generally speaking, all of our Android phones that support microSD cards support SDHC (secure digital high capacity); SDHC refers to capacity. Most phones can support up to 32GB capacity SDHC SDcards.​

• Android also supports high speed SDcards. High speed means that the bus runs up to 50MHz, which is 25MBytes per second. A rough understanding of the class system, is MBytes per second. So a Class 10 card will write up to 10 MBytes per second. Since the high speed bus can transfer data up to 25MBytes per second, we can support a class up to Class 25 (when those cards are available). Class 10 cards exist today, which we fully support.
So unless there is something specifically about the Razr that limits this functionality, it would seem our phones can utilize class 10 cards.

Well, that information is certainly enlightening. I am perhaps not surprised that the OS is designed around supporting higher speeds than even the class 10 cards, but I've done a lot of reading on other forums and the general consensus is that anything over class 6 (not class 4 as I had mentioned before) is in a real-world scenario overkill. There are though, much differences between one class 6 card and another from a different manufacturer. It's been reported that class 6 cards from Sandisk have show transfer rates of upwards of 30mb in some applications so perhaps the comment about anything over class 4 being overkill was referring to Sandisk class 4 given that class 6 can nearly quintuple it's specification minimum data transfer rating (and your research points to a 25mb max in Android).

Josebunbury

Reaction score
I'm also using the stock player with equalizer and sounds outstanding with regular earphones... I haven't used a MP3 player since I went Android a few years back...

Vicious1

Reaction score
Does PowerAMP support gapless playback? Will it play AAC?

Yes and yes. Power amp also had major update a few weeks ago, to version 2.0. Much improved, and very customizable, with home screen widgets. Can also rate all your songs now on a five star scale. Can integrate with musixmatch for lyrics. Auto download album artwork. Fully customizable eq.

I've used it for about a year now, first on evo 4G and now on bionic, with Etymotic Research ER4-p earbuds, and it sounds great. Also love being able to swipe whole screen to advance tracks, instead of hitting a small button. Particularly helpful when phone is mounted while driving.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

satarecah

Reaction score
I use stock music app and have a 32 gig almost filled ;) love me my music. I heard rumors of 64gigs working too

Lars

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I'm going to go against the grain and admit that I still use my iPod(s). First, I have two because I wanted a Nano for working out, but kept the other to just leave in the car. My reasoning is that when i'm working out, I don't want to worry about accidentally bumping or damaging my Razr, so by keeping the iPod i'm worry free. It's real easy to replace a $150 device, but not so much $600. It's also nice having a tiny nano clipped to my shirt or in my pocket, as opposed to a clunky phone. Don't get me wrong, I love the Razr, but it won't replace my dedicated music device.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

OP
D
Reaction score
I'm going to go against the grain and admit that I still use my iPod(s). First, I have two because I wanted a Nano for working out, but kept the other to just leave in the car. My reasoning is that when i'm working out, I don't want to worry about accidentally bumping or damaging my Razr, so by keeping the iPod i'm worry free. It's real easy to replace a $150 device, but not so much $600. It's also nice having a tiny nano clipped to my shirt or in my pocket, as opposed to a clunky phone. Don't get me wrong, I love the Razr, but it won't replace my dedicated music device. Sent from my DROID RAZR
I dont have to worry about bumping my ipod / razr when i workout cause i got bluetooth headphones. i normally leave my ipod by the wall and can hit almost every machine. range says 15ft but w/o walls i go little bit further. Motorola S305 are behind the head and also dedicated phone button if someone calls or you need to make a call. got them for like 30 bucks. i couldnt deal with the cord flapping around. you can pause, hit next or hit back also on the headphones and they dont fall off at all like some over the head ones or pop out like the in the ear ones. Also to note, the site i got my 32gig card from refunded my money cause lack of quanity... guess i'll be buying one from best buy tomorrow.