Using ps3 with droid (pdanet) or possible wifi tether

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jdfrye04, Mar 16, 2010.

1. jdfrye04

jdfrye04 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    This isn't necessarily a hack but it looks like a lot of you guys may be able to help with this situation. My apartment blocks online gaming and so I can't get online with my ps3. I want to play online every once in a while so I figured I could use pdanet to tether to my laptop and share that internet connection with my ps3. I tether with pdanet and then go to network and sharing center. Click on set up a connection or network, create the name and password and turn on internet sharing to create the ad hoc network. My ps3 doesn't see the connection but my other laptop does. I can connect to the network on my other laptop but when I go to the internet I get nothing. Even though it says its connected. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but all I want to do is play online! And I don't even want to do this often just every once in a while. I see that there is wifi tethering when you root but this seems like a long process. I feel comfortable rooting but it seems like there is a lot involved to be able to tether via wifi. What is the easiest way to accomplish what I want to do??

2. assmunke

assmunke Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    You are probably better off using Wifi tether, as it will give you much more in the way of settings to get it to play nice with the PS3. although honestly (depending on the game) even at full 3g rates you will have a hard time playing online

3. LuN3yDaV3

LuN3yDaV3 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  4. W1bird

W1bird New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ive used both pda and wifi tether successfully, didnt see much of a big dif between the two. but i would almost say go with PDA. I think there was less lag though them, just because it didnt drop me as much, that might have been because i am only getting two bars of 3G and about -91bms .

5. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Somebody else tried this - it's not going to work. The PS3 will only connect to an Infrastructure Access Point. The Droid wifi tether can only create an Ad-Hoc connection.

PS3 cannot use a USB or Bluetooth network connection as far as I know.

The only workaround I can think of is to pick up an ethernet bridge, or a wireless router that can run DD-WRT (Linksys WRT54G or similar). They can be had for $20 or so. Set up the router to be an ethernet bridge, also called a "Google Modem*". Plug the router into the PS3 with wired ethernet, and connect the router to the Droid's wireless AP.

*It's called a "Google Modem" because Google gives out free wifi for all of Mountain View, CA. People who cannot get a signal inside their homes or have non-wireless devices often get one of these so-called "Google Modems" to put near a window and share internet with wired devices (or connect a second internal wireless router)

Note: I'm not 100% positive that all ethernet bridges or DD-WRT can connect to Ad-Hoc connections, either.

6. W1bird

W1bird New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No ur wrong it does work on both, wifi tether u have to set up an ICS(internet connection share) through ur comp, then it work fine . Wifi from droid to comp ICS ethernet to ps3= slightly laggie but totally playable PSN.:greendroid:

7. Se7enLC

Se7enLC Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, sorry. The PS3 can ONLY connect to wired Ethernet or infrastructure AP.

You're describing using a windows computer as the Ethernet bridge instead of a separate device. Effectively the same thing I suggested, but with a PC instead of a $20 box. The PS3 is connecting via wired Ethernet to the computer, and the computer is connecting to the internet by another means (ad-hoc wireless, bluetooth, or usb).

But like I said, the *PS3* cannot use USB or Bluetooth. It can only use Wired or Wireless Ethernet (Infrastructure).

8. DeathGrind

DeathGrind Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That is Exactly what I am trying to do. I have a linksys router that I flashed with DD-WRT firmware.
    I simply can not get the router to connect to my droid access point.
    I have connected the router as a client bridge to my Cradle point Router that I use with my Verizion USB modem. So I know the router works correctly as a bridge. I have tried to set up the router as a bridge to connect to my droid's wifi tether, but no what I can not get it to work. I suspect that it might have something to do with the droids wifi being a adhoc connection.
    From what I understand about the droids wifi connection is adhoc. And I think that the ip address of the droid itself is 192.168.2.254 that is used for connections, I am unsure about this however. If it uses a different ip address then that, that could be the source of the problem.
    I have messing with this for hours, think i have to take a rest, clear my head a get back to it.

Anybody with experience in a similar set up, I would appreciate some help. Please anyone share any knowledge they have pertaining to these issues.

Thank you for your time.

9. torr58

torr58 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Based on my research some of you may be surprised at my setup and that is is working as well as it is. But, here's my issue, not an issue.. a request. Someone with any knowledge of these things please help me out. My standard internet connection is mobile broadband, it is the only moderate internet connection available to me. It works quite well, just at $60+/month it is getting expensive, we are supposed to be living in a connected age, I shouldn't be docked so much cash because I live 1/2 mile outside of the dsl/cable area. Anyway, my standard connection is mobile broadband to cradlepoint router, then to cpu and ps3. I avg (now that new tower is up not 1/4 mile away, 1.2-1.8 mbps download. I have been able to play a pick up game of hockey or football, some socom too, nice... but... like I said, money is an issue. Having a Droid Eris I am paying basic service plus data plan, which is quite expensive itself, so... I am paying for the same service twice... same technology, same application, same capabilities, no matter how to dice it, it is same wireless data transfer called 3g. I have since discovered pdanet, awesome idea, tether to a computer and it is the same exact thing I am paying $60/mo for, wow I say. But... what about gaming, not heavy usage, online game isn't anyway, we know that. Moderate usage, well under 5g in the first place on an unlimited data plan is the idea.

This is where it gets complicated, I have connected my Eris to the computer (WinVista) using pdanet, ICS out to Netgear router, it took me a little white but I got it connected, and viola!... connection to PS3 after some hours discovering DMZ port opening. So, I am connected through router, ports are open and when I connect to ps3 things seem fine and dandy until I try to play player vs player on NHL11, no dice. My connection basically freezes and I can hardly connect to another player, I am easily connected to internet (like browsing through ps3) and then to Playstation network, its when I get to easports network i have problems, I either cannot connect or quickly get disconnected. If anyone can offer advise it would be great. Please help.

10. hoola

hoola New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    anyone with windows 7. download connectify. Use pdanet and start a tether session. start connectify up. set to use pdanet as internet connection. set access point, wpa2-psk. set passwork and click start hotspot. find the connection with the ps3 network setup. ((just click scan)) connect and play. your wireless card in your laptop or desktop must be freed up. not connected to another accesspoint. connectify is free btw

Or just use 3g hotspot. yes it costs but it does work.

11. t0k3ndr01d

t0k3ndr01d New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i've successfully tethered using my og droid by connecting through usb tethering to my desktop computer, and pluggin an ethernet cable directly into the ethernet port instead of using a router and then going into network connections and select both connections, right click, and click bridge network connections, then right click on the connection from your phone and make sure all types of connections through that connection are shared and it worked, it was super slow even with full signal, there was no way to play any online games and the ps3 took forever trying to bring up the ps store and if i tried to go too deep into lists it would disconnect and i'd have to start over so its really not worth it, you are better off getting your own internet installed.

12. supreme777

supreme777 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hoola. can you help me out? Im running the exact same setup you mentioned.(pdanet to connectify). i can get the ps3 to to see connectify but i cant get pass the test. it cant find the ip address. im getting the error, A CONNECTION TO THE ACCCESS POINT COULD BE ESTABLISHED, CHECK THE SECURITY SETTINGS FOR THE WIRELESS LAN. im sure its something simple but any help as i am not a computer wiz would be greatly appreciated

13. lbarllcodel

lbarllcodel New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Easy wifi hack.

This IS actually possible if you have not figured it out yet.

What you will need:
    1. ROOTED Android phone - I used a Droidx.
    2: Wifi tether, Barnacle or any other wireless tethering app. WIFI Tether is best.
    3. A laptop or desktop with XP/VISTA/7 installed. With both Wifi and LAN capabilities.
    (A laptop will probably be best for portability)
    4. Wireless router. I used an older Netgear. (G) .
    5. Crossover cable. You can make one easily with a cat5/e cable. Simply splice the orange and green wires over. Cross all 4! [Orange to green / orange dotted to green dotted]

Step 1. Install and turn on Wifi tether on the Droid.
    Step 2. Connect your laptop wirelessly to your phone. (Verify connection online).
    Step 3. Go to network settings and share your wireless internet connection. Google it if you don't know how.
    Step 4. Connect the laptop to the router via crossover cable. You must connect to the IN port on the router not one of the outs. This is your internet connection afterall. Then of course plug it into the wall.
    Step 5. Connect your PS3, Xbox, wii, net TV etc..etc.. via wifi or lan to the router .

This should give you a solid connection of upto 1.5mbps (pending on 3g and your area) for your entire home. If everything in your home is wifi just have a spare laptop to use for the bridge between phone and router. You may need to restart the laptop after setting up ics. But it will work fine. Not the fastest but at bout 1mbs i hit a steady green bar on halo. Netflix works well too. DONT use if your plan is limited though. Bad idea.
    enjoy your gaming!

14. lbarllcodel

lbarllcodel New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sometimes a direct connection like this needs to be manually conf. Under Ps3 / 360 settings. Which means - assigning your own ip's, gateway, etc.. etc.. if it happens it gets rough. With my set up you can use the auto DHCP already set on the systems. Give it a look over and see if you have not already ;-)

15. TuBitMittens

TuBitMittens Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I can use wifi tether perfectly with my i-devices but for some reason it doesn't seem to be detected by my sony devices, more importantly, my ps3. don't kno why... :(

Search tags for this page
can pdanet work with ps3
connect pdanet to ps3
connect ps3 to ad hoc network
does pdanet work with ps3

how to connect pdanet to ps3

pdanet ps3

pdanet ps3 tether

usb tether ps3
usb tethering ps3
using pdanet for ps3