Using phone as hotspot on VZW

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Does Verizon not charge anymore for using your phone as a hotspot? I recall not too long ago, they were charing an extra $30/mo. for that feature. Have they finally wised up?

I've never used the feature before as I never had a need for it, and if I ever would have, I certainly didn't want to pay Verizon more for it. And this was before they allowed FoxFi and such to be installed. I know now it can be installed, but I'm just now noticing that there's nothing written anywhere anymore regarding a fee for it.

Am I correct?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
It was only for unlimited data plans. The paid tiered data plans can't charge for it per FCC, so Verizon included hotspot for "FREE" for the consumer.

OP
IIGood

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Thanks, that makes sense. I guess I was on the UDP for so long that I completely ignored the tiered plan "rules."

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Any plan that had limited minutes had to pay for hotspot, not just unlimited

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
What does the minutes have to do with data? That's strange.

OP
IIGood

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Okay...so, currently, VZW does *not* charge for hotspot usage if you have one of the latest tiered data plans and the unlimited text/minutes?

I may have missed a bit of info when I transitioned from my grandfathered UDP and limited minutes to the new tiered data/unlimited minutes regarding hotspot stuff. It didn't matter to me since I had never used that feature, and I probably still won't have a need to, but I am looking into some information for work; the company is transitioning to a stipend-based BYOD plan for mobile phones...no more corporate-issued devices. The old billing of usage as a hotspot came to mind and I wasn't sure if VZW was still doing that.

makaiguy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sammy Galaxy S7 on Verizon
Okay...so, currently, VZW does *not* charge for hotspot usage if you have one of the latest tiered data plans and the unlimited text/minutes?
I've only been with VZW about 3 years, this time around. Started out with an unlimilted text/minutes plan with a data cap out of the chute and there has been no charge for Wi-Fi hotspot. Can't say what we had with previous VZW go-round as that was years ago with basic phone with no hotspot capabilities.