Using nandroids to restore to stock doesn't work???????

wildbill86

Reaction score
A while ago i decided to flash my first rom, about a month and a half. I had been rooted on the stock rom for a long time, so, i went into clockworkmod, made a back of the stock rom in its current state. I sbf'd made another nandroid backup just after rooting, and then flashed hexen. I really like it, but i want to play with some others like angel. So i made a backup of hexen like it was 2 hours ago, went into cwm, wiped cache, did factory data reset, then ran my stock rom backup (the one just after sbf). To my surprise, it booted into stock hexen instead. So i went back to cwm wiped cache, factory data reset, and tried to restore my
Original stock rom backup, and the same thing happened, it went to stock hexen again. Luckily when i wiped cache , data reset again and ran my hexen backup i made 2 hours ago, my phone returned to the state it was in 2 hours ago on hexen thank god. Why wont my nandroid take me back to my stock rom? Do i need to go into advanced in cwm and wipe dalvik cache as well? I have just read that you should always go back to stock rom before flashing a new rom, I am comfortable sbfing, but don't want to if i dont have to. And i'm worried if i do then maybe my latest hexen backup wont work, then i have to set my phone up all over again. Should i have factory data reset after booting into stock hexen through settings or what? I'm so confused, any help would be appreciated.
Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

stillwaiting

Reaction score
I have had something like this happen to me when I flashed liberty 2.0 but if worst comes to worst you could just SBF back to froyo.

Sent from my droid 2 global running cyanogenmod 7

OP
wildbill86

wildbill86

Reaction score
Would trying to wipe dalvik cache hurt anything?

stillwaiting

Reaction score
Would trying to wipe dalvik cache hurt anything?

Probably not when i flash roms i wipe data, cache, dalvik cache and battery stats. Alhough im not sure what the dalvik cahe does... probably should find out.

Sent from my cyanogenmoded droid 2 global

OP
wildbill86

wildbill86

Reaction score
Might try it then

stillwaiting

Reaction score
Although i think it deals with the app data and whatnot from the market.

OP
wildbill86

wildbill86

Reaction score
Now i can only get my lateat backup to run anfer clearing cache. Shen i select another it says the md5 is a mismatch, then stops. What is md5?

Byakushiki

Reaction score
I can't really describe it, afaik it's a little file that is placed in the backups you make in cwm. As far as I know, that file is needed for cwm to read the recovery properly; it seems you can't rename your backups to anything with letters in them, the format used when they're created is fine. Otherwise, md5 mismatch happens. (Try naming a stock backup something that stands out, like 2011-5-1.01.01.01 and see if it works, I screwed that part up once and just renamed my stock backup to that, works like a charm)

OP
wildbill86

wildbill86

Reaction score
My most recent one is just labeled latesthexen and it still works just fine. and y did they load to a stock hexen yesterday, and then say that today and do nothing?

hellajdm

Reaction score
If you rename your backups you CANNOT have any spaces in the string. Just in case.

OP
wildbill86

wildbill86

Reaction score
If you rename your backups you CANNOT have any spaces in the string. Just in case.

I just figured thout a lil bit ago. Appreciate all the help everyone.