Using my Droid2 global in south america, first impression

OP
M

mastervader

Reaction score
This is awesome.

I finally configured APN settings and now i got full 3g internet with google services for about 2 bucks a day for 10 megs of data.

Love my droid 2!

leobg

Reaction score
This is awesome.

I finally configured APN settings and now i got full 3g internet with google services for about 2 bucks a day for 10 megs of data.

Love my droid 2!

Thanks mastervader, this is what I wanted to hear! Now the question remains can the d2g be unlocked by 3rd party unlockers. Wouldn't Verizon give unlock codes if phone is purchased without commitment (unsubsidised)?

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

gilmourd

Reaction score
Thanks mastervader, this is what I wanted to hear! Now the question remains can the d2g be unlocked by 3rd party unlockers. Wouldn't Verizon give unlock codes if phone is purchased without commitment (unsubsidised)?

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

Someone on eBay is providing unlock code to the Droid 2 Global for $50 a pop. I am not going to link it here, but I am sure anyone can find it on his own. I don't know if it works or not because I don't have a Droid 2 Global :(... yet :)

webcenter

Reaction score
Someone on eBay is providing unlock code to the Droid 2 Global for $50 a pop. I am not going to link it here, but I am sure anyone can find it on his own. I don't know if it works or not because I don't have a Droid 2 Global :(... yet :)

Already someone purchased this item.
And well done working????

The seller's feedback site displayed it.
(it's positive feedback.)
==>
Received in less than 2 hours as promised, excellent!!
Nov-17-10 12:22

Last edited:

ddckylec

Reaction score
I was told that if I unlocked the SIM, it would void the warranty on the phone? Is this correct? why?

dstwins

Reaction score
That doesn't sound correct.. most likely a scare tactic.. anyone with more experience on verizon want to chime in here.. because it can't void your motorola warranty (unless you use some software unlock) and if verizon gives the code, it doesn't absolve them of any legal liabilities as to the phone itself.. (only the service).

silver6054

Reaction score
That doesn't sound correct.. most likely a scare tactic.. anyone with more experience on verizon want to chime in here.. because it can't void your motorola warranty (unless you use some software unlock) and if verizon gives the code, it doesn't absolve them of any legal liabilities as to the phone itself.. (only the service).

I called up global when I first got my phone, they provided the unlock code but didn't have any instructions. In particular, no comment about voiding the warranty. So I just tried putting in a UK SIM, got the prompt, entered the code and that was fine.

Then, because of the US GSM issue, I contacted them again. This time, they send me a form with the unlock code, and the first line says that unlocking the SIM will void the warranty.

So, that is the policy. Is it enforceable? I don't know. This certainly wasn't the case with earlier world phones, and, unlike say rooting, unlock is a standard phone-supported function, so shouldn't count as misuse or something. VZ have always had disclaimers about not being responsible for charges etc when using a non-VZ SIM internationally.

So I hope it doesn't come to it, but if something goes wrong with my phone, I will point out that I was given the unlock code to use without being told that using it would void my warranty, I had no expectation that it would do so etc etc!

ddckylec

Reaction score
I called global support for the second time.they gave me the unlockcodes without any hassles.

Well see if it works in hong kong.

Thanks guys!

ddckylec

Reaction score
They gave me two.they didn't know if the first one would work, so they have me a second to try after that...well see

rjl706

Reaction score
unlock code without global plan?

I had a Blackberry Storm 9530 with a sim card in it, and I am pretty sure that it was unlocked, although I never tried it. Now I have a Droid 2 Global. When I called to unlock the card (just in case I travel) I was told that when it is unlocked it automatically will convert me to a global calling plan so I should wait till I need it. Is this really right? I like to have all my options available!

OP
M

mastervader

Reaction score
I had a Blackberry Storm 9530 with a sim card in it, and I am pretty sure that it was unlocked, although I never tried it. Now I have a Droid 2 Global. When I called to unlock the card (just in case I travel) I was told that when it is unlocked it automatically will convert me to a global calling plan so I should wait till I need it. Is this really right? I like to have all my options available!

Unlocking the phone and adding a global calling plan are TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS.

When you call again, let them know you just want your 2 unlock codes. Thats it.
let them know that you may have to leave the country at anytime and you want to make sure that your phone is capable of acepting foreign sims.

Only if you want to use verizon/vodafone service while outside the country, then you can add a global data plan or calling plan. And you can do that the day before you leave.

I have to add that changing my data plan (30/month) tothe global email unlimited (65/month) for the 2 weeks I am out of the country ended up being cheaper than using data with a prepaid foreign sim. Plus the ability to use google voice to send txt messages to all my friends back home in the us and only use data and not get charged sms is just awesome

katieo1540

Reaction score
Need advice

I apologize if this has been answered. But as I am not "tech savy" I just need to double check. I am moving to Brazil in 6 months. I am thinking about getting the Droid 2 to take with me. I would cancel my accnt with Verizon and get it foreign sim card. If I were to get the unlock code and use the foreign sim, would the Droid 2 G work? Shockingly, no one at the Verizon store is "able" to answer this question.
Thanks for your input!

leobg

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been answered. But as I am not "tech savy" I just need to double check. I am moving to Brazil in 6 months. I am thinking about getting the Droid 2 to take with me. I would cancel my accnt with Verizon and get it foreign sim card. If I were to get the unlock code and use the foreign sim, would the Droid 2 G work? Shockingly, no one at the Verizon store is "able" to answer this question.
Thanks for your input!

In short - yes, it will work. You need to get the unlock code from Verizon before you cancel! Check forum sticky for more info.