using inc 2 with wifi only, no verizon service

mom22boys

Reaction score
I have the incredible 2. I am about to upgrade and want to let my son have my old phone to use for games, email. It is not rooted. Is this possible? Will the phone have to use my current email or can I use his google email? will he be able to download games, twitter, etc? Of course, I am talking about with Wifi. Do I need to do anything with the phone before switching the service to my new one for it to work?

thanks!!!

nikecar

Reaction score
Yes you can. I just did the same thing. It will be a wifi only device, and will access whatever email accounts you have there as long as its connected via WIFI. I had my new Rezound set up as such also when I was prepping my Inc2 and I was able to access emails on both devices, along with the play Market and downloads of games.

i'm going to let my wife use it with our kids when she needs to quiet them down. My 3yo now calls my Inc2, the "old phone."

"Daddy, can I play with your old phone?"

OP
M

mom22boys

Reaction score
That is great to hear! Now another dumb question. Do I need to do anything to the Incredible 2 before cutting of phone service for it to work a wifi only?

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
That is great to hear! Now another dumb question. Do I need to do anything to the Incredible 2 before cutting of phone service for it to work a wifi only?

Nope, my OG Droid became a wifi only version by just switching the number to my new Bionic

nikecar

Reaction score
I'd suggest remiving your accounts, then adding his Gmail account afterwards.

OP
M

mom22boys

Reaction score
Thanks for the replays. I will definitely change the email.

mgullick

Reaction score
Hang on. I have an upgrade coming up in February (long way off but...). Are you saying I can upgrade to a new phone and the DINC 2 will still function for email, texting, downloading, etc. via WiFi? It just won't work as a phone but everything else will still be usable via WiFi?

JRParsons

Reaction score
I just got a new phone, pulled the sim card out of my thunderbolt, did a factory reset, then signed in with my Google account. I have access to pretty much everything when connected to wifi. Although I haven't tried, I would bet that apps that allow phone calls over the Internet may work. All the other apps have worked. (browser, music player, music downloader, etc)

phonetool

Reaction score
Hang on. I have an upgrade coming up in February (long way off but...). Are you saying I can upgrade to a new phone and the DINC 2 will still function for email, texting, downloading, etc. via WiFi? It just won't work as a phone but everything else will still be usable via WiFi?

Yes.

-CM7 on DInc2

Reaction score

Yes to anything that requires an internet connection. However, texting uses the cell phone provider service so that wood be a no. But messaging like gtalk would work.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk 2

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use groove IP along with Google voice for internet calling on my wifi only Droid ..
Also send text to the Google number if needed...

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
I use groove IP along with Google voice for internet calling on my wifi only Droid ..
Also send text to the Google number if needed...

If you can tether from your new phone to the old your Wi-Fi only phone becomes mobile again!

Edit oops doubled down on the post

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----