using GV for SMS

blueridge

Reaction score
can anyone help me set this up.. i have a google voice account and i have been using it for calls.. but i didnt setup the text messaging.. and i read a bunch of different setups.. i want to get this right the first time.. so can anyone help me get this setup so im not using all my paid text messages.. im on a motorola droid with verizon.. thanks in advance

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If you have a GV account, you simply download GV from the Market and install it. At that point, you need to notify all your contacts of your GV number for SMS.

OP
B

blueridge

Reaction score
i already have the google voice app.. have been using it for voice calls for a while.. but i read there are settings you much turn off/on in google voice setup and on the droid.. so it doesnt use verizon messaging at all.. anyone give me some hints :)

tonydelite

Reaction score
If you text through the google voice app, you are using google voice. period. there is nothing else to it. just make sure its the default sms app too, so it will use google voice to text by default.

if someone texts your google voice number, it will always go to google voice.

lorider

Reaction score
I have a similar issue. I just set up google voice and noticed I was being "charged" for texts becuase it is forwarding to my phone. Here is what I am trying to accomplish:

I want to text via Google voice with my wife. She is the person I text the most and its not even close. The other people that text me will use my cell phone-this should keep me under the 250 allowance no problem. The "charging" issue is that GV is sending notifications to my cell phone. I don't want those because they take up my 250? Thanks in advance for any help.

gsDroid

Reaction score
lorider, go to google.com/voice and sign in. In the upper right, choose 'Settings', then 'Voice Settings'. Click on the 'Voicemail & Text' tab. In the 'Voicemail notifications' box uncheck the 'Send a text message' to your cell phone. You are being charged to send the additional text back to your phone in addition to your google voice number.

lorider

Reaction score
Thanks-I think I stumbled upon the setting on my phone and confirmed it online. Now I can stop driving my wife crazy with all my test emails.