1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Using GSM on a "global" Droid

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by bean32, Nov 5, 2012.

1. bean32

bean32 New Member

I have what is apparently a unique issue, that I want to have two different phone numbers, for my personal and business-related use. I have been on Verizon for about two years and it is upgrade time. I currently have an iPhone 4 but am sick of it and plan on returning to Android. I refuse to carry around 2 phones which pretty much forces me to buy a Lenovo or Huawei dual SIM phone from a sketchy foreign website as well as switch my cell service to At&T. My question is, is it possible to use the GSM radio on any Verizon Droid WHILE Verizon service is active? This would be as a different #. I do know that Chinese phones tend to run vanilla 2.3 or 4.0 Android, so I would assume that the limitations would be more on the hardware than the software. I don't have high hopes for this route but I do need to cover my bases before I make an investment in a new phone and service.
  2. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Welcome to DroidForums! I actually do use two different numbers on my one cell phone.... one for business and my actual Verizon # for personal. Have done it for years and works great. Download from play store Google voice. You will get a separate Google voice # and it comes with its own voicemail and text. When someone calls my Google voice #, it rings on my phone the same as regular calls (except Google voice calls I have to dial 1 to accept the incoming call).