Using Google Maps overseas

jazzman161

Reaction score
Hey all. I will be traveling to Brazil shortly (I am based out of the US) and I wanted to know if I can somehow use Google Maps for directions and area suggestions etc.? I will be keeping my phone in "Airplane Mode" but I thought maybe with the help of wifi and gps on, it might work?

Does anybody have any experience with this? Did you get charged fees from VZW for doing so?

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can't have WiFi on in airplane mode. And the GPS is also tied to 3G as it needs to download the maps to your relative location.

OP
J

jazzman161

Reaction score
I gotta be honest, I'd never tried airplane mode + wifi but since you brought up you can't, I just tried it and I see the airplane in the status bar, wifi signal too, and I'm connected to my home network and browsing random web pages.

Am I missing something here? Not sure if it makes a difference but I am using Chevy's SimplyStunning v4.8.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I've been informed that wifi wouldn't be available in airplane mode.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

techguru

Reaction score
That was true in android 2.1 (although there was an app to override it) but in 2.2 wifi stays on in airplane mode, probably because the airlines now offer wifi on board.

Sent from my Droid Incredible using DroidForums App

ZX3ZX4

Reaction score
For me the issue is whether it will cost me to use Google Maps or Navigation while roaming with my phone. I would assume that these apps could run up a fair amount of data charges...or can they work independently without triggering roaming or data fees? Can anyone share their insights or experiences?

rooster.droid

Reaction score
Just got back from a two week trip to asia. Phone never left airplane mode. Both wifi and gps worked. Was able to use google maps anytime I had wifi. Worked great!

OP
J

jazzman161

Reaction score
Thanks rooster. Did you get hit up with any unexpected fees on your monthly bill?

Since you just got back from an international trip, do you have any recommendations as far as apps that made your traveling easier and how'd you handle international calling/texting if you did any with any of the locals?

Thanks!

techguru

Reaction score
You won't get billed for using Google Maps or any other WiFi services unless you use a paid WiFi provider (in which case you will need to provide a credit card and log on so you know you are being charged). As long as you don't have a 1X or 3G signal (in airplane mode, or just traveling anywhere outside North America except Korea, Australia, and some cities in Japan) Verizon won't know whether or not your phone is even on.

Alan

rooster.droid

Reaction score
No fees, like I said it nevere went off airplane mode so like techguru said verizon never would know.
I set up google voice as my voicemail so I had my message anytime I had wifi. Gave out my GV number to those who needed to text me. Skype and Skype credit to talk voice to voice with loved ones.
Didn't use any apps for local stuff. Was with a guide/friend and didn't need it. Added a few to skype but that's about it.

OP
J

jazzman161

Reaction score
So you can use GV to receive texts from locals? Or did you mean so that people could text you from back in the States and you could receive? (and reply?)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You can't have WiFi on in airplane mode. And the GPS is also tied to 3G as it needs to download the maps to your relative location.
Actually, incorrect on both counts. First was already pointed out. The GPS receiver does not need 3G -- just line of sight to the GPS satellites. The GPS app on the other hand is a different story. Some, like Google Maps, require data (not necessarily 3G, WiFi will work) for internet access to download maps, etc. There are, however, plenty of GPS apps that don't require data.

So you can use GV to receive texts from locals? Or did you mean so that people could text you from back in the States and you could receive? (and reply?)
GV uses data (WiFi in this context) for SMS. The answer is yes to both questions. GV doesn't care where the sender is located.

Last edited: