Using fox fi for tethering

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by jstwondrng, Mar 30, 2012.

1. jstwondrng

jstwondrng New Member

All,

Per the forum member's suggestion, I DL'd fox fi for tethering. Do I need to subscribe to a tethering plan thru Verizon in order to tether or does this app allow you to do so without the plan?

jstwondrng
  2. 305rev305

305rev305 New Member

You don't need a plan. Just download the app and turn it on
  3. nsrailrunner

nsrailrunner New Member

I downloaded fox fi for my droid maxx but for some reason my pc will not find it. I go to search for available wireless networks and it is not listed??? Any suggestions?
  4. jstwondrng

jstwondrng New Member

Here's the thing, I tried connecting my ipod touch and it found the network. However, there was no data pushing over to the ipod. I looked in the notification tray and there was an message concerning "Tethering or Mobile Hotspot active, touch to configure". I clicked it and "Mobile Hotspot" is unchecked. If I put a check in the box, instantly it attempts to set up tethering, but gives an error message stating I don't have a mobile tethering plan through Verizon.

Any suggestions?

jstwondrng
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  5. My351

My351 New Member

I have been using it for a couple of months now. I have the no connection problem every time. I have learned that once I turn it on, open the actual Verizon hotspot and just close it, then foxfi works fine. Not sure why or what does it, don't have to change anything on the Verizon version, just open and back right back out and it works every time for me.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  6. azdrifter

azdrifter Member

I've been using Foxfi for a couple of weeks now and and the only problem I have had is my PC at first will not connect to it, but if I start the foxfi first then power on the pc it automatically recognizes the tether and connects. The touch to configur comes on I just ignore it and it still works fine.
  7. Caren4u2

Caren4u2 New Member

OK, so I might be a little dense, but are you connecting via wifi using FoxFi? Is it possible to get online connecting phone to the micro USb cable? I have a friend who currently owns a desktop and connects to Internet using a USB broadband card. Desktop is not Wifi capable at this point. (I know there are wireless capable devices she can add.)
    She's been holding off on getting a smartphone to keep everything in budget. If she can access internet on her desktop plugging her smartphone in....and accessing internet that way, she just might take the leap.
  8. azdrifter

azdrifter Member

I think that her best bet would be to buy a wireless card for her desktop so she can use the smartphone as a wifi router that's how I use my laptop i just connect to the internet through my smartphone. A wifi card can be purchased for less then $60 at any bestbuy store.
  9. thaDroidz

thaDroidz New Member

If she doesn't already have a data plan she wont get unlimited when she finally gets a smartphone. Tethering to a pc will pull lots of data causing Verizon to charge her if she goes over.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mstream.e2t
    Easy tether uses usb cable

----posted maxx'ed out----
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  10. jstwondrng

jstwondrng New Member

Thanks for the suggestions! I finally got it working. Gotta luv having a portable hotpot! Ok, another question... warning everyone, probably a stupid one... do we get charged for accessing tethering on our phone? Especially since Verizon charges money for this feature.

11. thaDroidz

thaDroidz New Member

Anything is possible ...
    As of this date I know of no one that has been charged.

If the plan isn't unlimited you would be charge for data overages.

----posted maxx'ed out----
  12. azdrifter

azdrifter Member

I haven't yet,that's the whole idea behind this App is to get around the hotspot charge.But keep in mind what Thadroidz said if she gets a new phone all plans are tiered now so using a hotspot will pull a large amount of data I use close to 13-15 gigs a month when I only use the phone to tether. Food for thought she might just want to pay the extra $20 or whatever the carrier charges to get that added to her package because I'm sure that overages can get costly very quickly,fortunately i'm grandfathered in with Verizon and have unlimited data usage.
  13. db83

db83 New Member

I'm trying to get FoxFi to work on my GNex. I can connect to the network I create on the app from my laptop, but I can't get any network access, no internet. Anyone have any ideas?
  14. bassman1547

bassman1547 New Member

Downloaded. Installed. Ticked box on. Tested with OG ipad. Works! No problem. Rooted, stock, most bloat frozen. I have unlimited plan, but will use sparingly, only when needed. Prudence with a good thing has its rewards.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForumst
  15. hAHAha Halo

hAHAha Halo New Member

I just found FoxFi yesterday and found it works out well with my phone.. I also found out the hard way that the xBox 360 if connected to a new wifi will completely forget the old wifi.. xBox just dropped the 26 character long password to the wifi.. Now I'm soon going to have to reconfigure it.

Anyways, works well but exercise caution if you're on a limited plan. I could really have used this 2 weeks ago when I was staying at a hotel with no Wifi but great 4G coverage, and the guys in my room had no coverage.

16. dtwalters

dtwalters New Member

All I can say is that this app is UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE!
  17. 69copo

69copo New Member

I love FoxFi and use it to DL torrents and average 850mb. I have never been charged and average around 18-25G a month. I'm unlimited so I use it whenever I want to. I actually run the USB just so I don't kill my battery. Mine to triggers the Teathering or Mobile Hotspots active but I think its just because FoxFi triggers the function in the OS I've always just ignored it. I activate FoxFi first the turn on my laptop and it always connects right away. Just FYI you can go into the FoxFi settings and change the name and password protect your hotspots connection so you don't get any leachers slowing you down. Hope this helps.

18. alboboy10

alboboy10 New Member

I tried the app but when I switched my password it didn't update. So my wifi connection was open to anyone
  19. 69copo

69copo New Member

Exit out of FoxFi then restart it. Find the FoxFi in your available networks right click go to properties>security>enter password save as preferred or auto connect when in range. Save it and it should now be secured. That's all I had to do.

20. sculptedstylus

sculptedstylus New Member

I use FoxFi to tether my Asus Transformer, and it works great! The only "little" problem I have is, if I turn FoxFi off, I have to reboot my Razr Maxx to get it to work again...no big deal, though! My main question is this: I will sometimes leave it on all day, and although it plugged into the wall socket, and the screen dimmed, it does heat up some. Is this prematurely aging my battery? Is this a battery killer?
Search tags for this page
after download fox fi on my phone how tether to my desktop
computer wont connect to foxfi

fox fi

fox tethering
foxfi for desktop
foxfi tethering or hotspot active
how secure is foxfi
how to connect foxfi to a desktop
how to connect foxfi to xbox 360
how to make foxfi hotspot a secured network
how to password protect foxfi