Using Eris Without Data Plan

duckman

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting an Eris off of ebay and using it with a verizon voice only plan. I was wondering what features would be disabled. For example, would web browsing and other web services still be available via wifi.

mkw87

Reaction score
Everything would work on wifi but I'm not sure Verizon wont charge you for data based on phones I'd #....someone else can chime in there.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

posey46

Reaction score
Last I heard, even if you did buy a phone that way, Verizon would still know what kind of phone it was when you went to activate it and will add a data plan accordingly.

lowboy

Reaction score
They will charge you because the phone is capable of connecting to the web.
I went down that avenue last year. Either get a data plan or no activation.

droptopjim

Reaction score
What I did is I had my droid activated through P*ge+ 29.99 for 1200 minutes, 1200 text and 50 mb data. Just turn the mobile broadband off. There is a power widget you can use to do it, or you can do it through the settings. They also have an unlimited talk and text for 44.95 that includes 20 meg of data, I dont use the mobile broadband very much, I can do all i need to via wifi. they activated me without any questions.
I dont know if i can put the provider name on the post, that is why it says P*ge+ pm me if you dont know the provider name but they are the same as verizon. I know a dealer that will do they activation very quick for 5.95 funnything is they wont activate Blackberrys but droids are ok

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What I did is I had my droid activated through P*ge+ 29.99 for 1200 minutes, 1200 text and 50 mb data. Just turn the mobile broadband off. There is a power widget you can use to do it, or you can do it through the settings. They also have an unlimited talk and text for 44.95 that includes 20 meg of data, I dont use the mobile broadband very much, I can do all i need to via wifi. they activated me without any questions.
I dont know if i can put the provider name on the post, that is why it says P*ge+ pm me if you dont know the provider name but they are the same as verizon. I know a dealer that will do they activation very quick for 5.95 funnything is they wont activate Blackberrys but droids are ok
What are you referring to? If you want the Eris on VZW, you will have to have the $29.99 data plan, physically impossible to activate it without. I know, I worked for VZW and know the system limitations.

droptopjim

Reaction score
you activate the phone through pagepluscellular.com they are a MVNO ( mobile virtual network operator) operating with verizons system. I pay 29.99 a month for 1200 minutes, 1200 text and 50 meg data. Original poster is not concerned about a data plan, so this seems to be the original posters best option

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Verizon will not allow you to activate a smart phone with out a smart phone data plan ($29.99) for the first year of activation. At that time you can then deactivate the extra plan.

That's incorrect....Smartphone require a data plan at all times while on the network.

denakisland

Reaction score
Pacific NW. Not so North and not so West.
Verizon will not allow you to activate a smart phone with out a smart phone data plan ($29.99) for the first year of activation. At that time you can then deactivate the extra plan.

That's incorrect....Smartphone require a data plan at all times while on the network.

VZW must have changed their policies... big surprise there.