Using Droid X to Deal with Telemarketers/Spammers

Eventual

Reaction score
Hi. I have been receiving an inordinate number of telemarketing calls over the last few days. My number must have found its way onto some list, because I'm getting about 10 calls per day from a bunch of different telemarketers. In order to combat this, I got Mr. Number, and I have set it to block calls and texts from all unknown numbers. This sends the callers directly to voicemail. If it's actually something important, I figure they'll leave a voicemail. Telemarketers just give up.

However, this is an imperfect solution, because the phone does ring for just an instant before Mr. Number takes action. I don't want even a millisecond of interruption from these spammers, so I want to figure out a way to make all unrecognized numbers automatically have a silent ringtone. I figure there has to be a way to do this, perhaps by making my default ringtone silent and then making all of my contacts have a different ringtone. The problem is, I have a lot of contacts, and setting that up one-by-one would be very time consuming. What's more, I don't know if there is a silent ringtone available for the Droid X (or a way to silence specific incoming calls), or if I'll have to create a "silent" ringtone using something like Ringdroid.

So, does anyone have any tips for how best to handle this? Mr. Number has been a huge help, and I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't like unwanted calls, but it's still not quite 100% of the way there.

freezyfreaky

Reaction score
Hi. I have been receiving an inordinate number of telemarketing calls over the last few days. My number must have found its way onto some list, because I'm getting about 10 calls per day from a bunch of different telemarketers. In order to combat this, I got Mr. Number, and I have set it to block calls and texts from all unknown numbers. This sends the callers directly to voicemail. If it's actually something important, I figure they'll leave a voicemail. Telemarketers just give up.

However, this is an imperfect solution, because the phone does ring for just an instant before Mr. Number takes action. I don't want even a millisecond of interruption from these spammers, so I want to figure out a way to make all unrecognized numbers automatically have a silent ringtone. I figure there has to be a way to do this, perhaps by making my default ringtone silent and then making all of my contacts have a different ringtone. The problem is, I have a lot of contacts, and setting that up one-by-one would be very time consuming. What's more, I don't know if there is a silent ringtone available for the Droid X (or a way to silence specific incoming calls), or if I'll have to create a "silent" ringtone using something like Ringdroid.

So, does anyone have any tips for how best to handle this? Mr. Number has been a huge help, and I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't like unwanted calls, but it's still not quite 100% of the way there.

Did you put your cell number on the National Do Not Call Registry? After 31 days on the list, telemarketers cannot call your cell anymore. Certain callers like surveyors and political groups are still exempt though.

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score

xliderider

Reaction score
I use the app Mr Number Call Block to block Private number callers. Almost all of the telemarketers and survey takers block their numbers because no one takes calls from them if they know who's calling.

wyldbill

Reaction score
I use Mr. Number for the same reason, but I don't get any ring at all, in fact the only way I know its working is that I see a notification that it has blocked a number. The only thing I have different is that I have mine set to pick up and hang up, I don't even want them on my voicemail. dancedroid

xliderider

Reaction score
I use Mr. Number for the same reason, but I don't get any ring at all, in fact the only way I know its working is that I see a notification that it has blocked a number. The only thing I have different is that I have mine set to pick up and hang up, I don't even want them on my voicemail. dancedroid

I forgot Mr Number gives you the option to send to voicemail or hang up. Mine goes to VM where I have a message that I don't accept Private/Blocked calls, but I leave them an option to leave a message if it is important, and for whatever reason they can't turn of the number blocking before calling.

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't have a solution for your criteria, but I did set any number that I didn't recognize in my YouMail contacts and set their VM message to be the tones and "this number is no longer in service or has been disconnected" message. Seemed to cut down things a lot :p

drewman429

Reaction score
Try the app "Whoisit". I recently downloaded it because of a recommendation through this forum. I work 3rd shift and don't want to be woke up with unwanted calls all during the day but I want my family to be able to get through. With Whoisit, you set the contacts you want to get through as VIP's, then silence your phone and only the VIP contacts will ring. There are more features that I haven't tried yet.