Using Droid X Tethered and as WiFi Hotspot

iCello

Reaction score
Hey, I'm the author of that blog post. 2 things:
1. Thanks for reading and linking.
2. I've used this extensively on my DX and have never been charged... However, I can't completely guarantee that you wont be.

owensct

Reaction score
Using the Droid X as a hotspot without paying

Hi Guys,

I have been reading this post with some interest, but I have to say that it blows me away.

Is Verizon overcharging us? Yes!
Should we have to pay extra to connect our Droid X to our laptops? No!

However, the bottom line is this is stealing plain and simple, but people seem to dismiss it out of hand like it's not a big deal. When we signed up with our carrier we agreed to be bound by the terms of that agreement.

We as people of this world complain, gripe and moan when the oil companies gouge us at the pump and make billions in profits every year. When corporate executives take home multimillion dollar bonuses every quarter but don't pay their workers a fare wage. We complain about all the banks and mortgage companies that caused the housing crisis by stealing billions and almost causing a second great depression.

But really how different is what is being suggested here. Yes it’s on a much smaller scale, but how is it any less wrong than what these organizations have done to us.

We as individuals are the lowest common dominators in this world’s moral compass. We ask ourselves what’s wrong with this world and decry all the horrible things that are done and tolerated, but we as individuals are the basic building blocks of society, if we build a building, (our world wide society) with faulty building materials, (individuals of this world who compromise their ethics and morals), how can we complain if the building comes crashing down? If we can justify stealing a little, how dare we complain and judge those who steal a lot!

How would you feel if your neighbor tapped into your electric meter, just to run his home theater system? Hey it’s only a few bucks a month, less than a Starbucks – no big deal right? Or someone piggy backed off your WiFi without your permission, what’s it costing you? Or someone came into your garage and borrowed you lawn mower without telling you or asking?

Would we be OK with that? No way, we would be on the phone to the electric company and/or the police in a heartbeat.

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but I just felt like I had to say something.

There is an old saying that I believe that goes like this:

The person faithful in what is least is faithful also in much, and the person unrighteous in what is least is unrighteous also in much.

Are we not unrighteous in much, just becuase we haven't had the opportunity???

Cheers,

Brian

liferefugee

Reaction score
Is it against the tos? yes. Is it stealing? no. unless you can tell me what is stolen, I can't agree with it being labeled as that. Is it the data? Nope, we pay for the data. Is it the connection software to hook up another device? Nope, that comes with the phone we bought. The $20 a month to tether is just for the right to use another device. After all if I used tether to surf the web or watch a movie then I am just using the same data I would if I did the same thing from my phone.

I see it more like taking my own candy to the movie theater. They say I can't, so it is "wrong" but am I stealing from the theater? You might say yes, because that is less money for them from me buying candy. What if I just go without the candy if I can't bring it in? They still don't get the extra money but now I don't get to enjoy the movie with a snack.

If I tether and do things I can do from my phone is it any different? I still agree we shouldn't since it is against the tos, but I also believe the tos should be changed.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Wuffpack99

Reaction score
^+1. If you want to use it, pay for it, whether you think it's fair or not.

brockeverly

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been reading this post with some interest, but I have to say that it blows me away.

Is Verizon overcharging us? Yes!
Should we have to pay extra to connect our Droid X to our laptops? No!

However, the bottom line is this is stealing plain and simple, but people seem to dismiss it out of hand like it's not a big deal. When we signed up with our carrier we agreed to be bound by the terms of that agreement.

We as people of this world complain, gripe and moan when the oil companies gouge us at the pump and make billions in profits every year. When corporate executives take home multimillion dollar bonuses every quarter but don't pay their workers a fare wage. We complain about all the banks and mortgage companies that caused the housing crisis by stealing billions and almost causing a second great depression.

But really how different is what is being suggested here. Yes it’s on a much smaller scale, but how is it any less wrong than what these organizations have done to us.

We as individuals are the lowest common dominators in this world’s moral compass. We ask ourselves what’s wrong with this world and decry all the horrible things that are done and tolerated, but we as individuals are the basic building blocks of society, if we build a building, (our world wide society) with faulty building materials, (individuals of this world who compromise their ethics and morals), how can we complain if the building comes crashing down? If we can justify stealing a little, how dare we complain and judge those who steal a lot!

How would you feel if your neighbor tapped into your electric meter, just to run his home theater system? Hey it’s only a few bucks a month, less than a Starbucks – no big deal right? Or someone piggy backed off your WiFi without your permission, what’s it costing you? Or someone came into your garage and borrowed you lawn mower without telling you or asking?

Would we be OK with that? No way, we would be on the phone to the electric company and/or the police in a heartbeat.

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but I just felt like I had to say something.

There is an old saying that I believe that goes like this:

The person faithful in what is least is faithful also in much, and the person unrighteous in what is least is unrighteous also in much.

Are we not unrighteous in much, just becuase we haven't had the opportunity???

Cheers,

Brian

I agree with you 100%.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

deano 177

Reaction score
I totally agree with what has been posted above. However, I could care less if its in the tos or not. on the first droid, verizon said that the device could not tether via usb. hardware did not support it. total bs. they just wanted their scrill ($) for the privilege of doing it. Its bs. just like B&N not updating the Nook to android 2.2 when clearly the rest of the world is rooting it and it does great.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that gingerbread has been designed to break barnacle and wireless tether for root users ability to be used. Now given a couple of weeks/months these apps could be updated to work, but VZW has been getting these and other tether apps removed from our view in the market.

liferefugee

Reaction score
Not to mention that they are cracking down on unauthorized tethering. Tracking those who do it, and potentially sending them a bill. Let alone everything they can do to your account from catching you.

Btw, there is a difference between complying and agreeing with the tos. Just because we debate, doesn't mean everyone is our there tethering. The "just don't do it" approach is exactly what they want from us. But if we as their customers push back, things can change.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Smolder

Reaction score
I agree 110% liferrefugee. There is absolutely no reason why customers should roll over. There are just too many options out there to let one greedy company dictate how we use our devices. This whole BS with tablets requiring separate data plans. If you have a phone w/ a data plan, no reason why you shouldn't be able to use it for your tablet. As time passes and competition increases, these things will change.

schoeds

Reaction score
The ToS is not a law. Therefore breaking the ToS is not breaking the law. It simply states that Verizon has the right to terminate your contract if you breach the ToS.

It is, in no sense of the word, stealing. Stop playing into their hands and maybe the ToS will change.

Get a grip people!

Edit: If Verizon's ToS stated that you were to only use the preloaded VZ Navigator as your guidance app, would you still consider it stealing to root and side load TomTom or Navigon? (This assumes that Google Maps does not exist.)

Last edited:

Smolder

Reaction score
Hey iCello,
I can't locate the mobile hotspot app. Am I just not understanding Where to acquire it.

iCello

Reaction score
@smolder You don't have to acquire it from anywhere... It comes with your phone. Its the official android hotspot app. Just open your app drawer, or search for it. You can even put a shortcut on your homescreen. Its called 3G Mobile Hotspot. Has a green icon.

Smolder

Reaction score
My phone is rooted. I don't have that icon anymore. Using Liberty mod.

2legsshrt

Reaction score
Senior

I am a retired RVer. I just added the wifi hotspot on my DX. I don't like paying the $20 but it was easy. Now I find out I can do it for free. I am not sure I can do it but others can. Too bad they don't make a senior citizen app.