Using Droid X Tethered and as WiFi Hotspot

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by stevem.fl, Aug 26, 2010.

1. stevem.fl

stevem.fl New Member

I often work from home and my internet connection is crucial. Today some careless (I used a different word when shouting in my office) workers digging in my backyard sliced my cable and killed my connection. After a brief moment of panic, I glanced down at my wonderful Droid X and started fiddling. I had not yet used the device for my PC internet yet, but I did decide to pay the 20 bucks a month extra for the WiFi hotspot capability when I bought it. I had been paying 60 bucks a month for the verizon broadband modem (used mostly when traveling) so I dumped that when I bought the Droid X.

Well, I decided to try two of the free methods first to see which ones would work best (maybe I could drop the 20 bucks a month). I installed both the PDANet and EasyTether apps. PDANet connected fine right away but it started dropping constantly so I then went to EasyTether. EasyTether connected, had good speed, and did not drop. However, when I went to use Cisco VPN to network into a customer's server, it did not work. Then I started the WiFi hotspot. It connected nicely, has not dropped yet (I'm on it now as I type), the speed is good, and I'm able to use Cisco VPN to do my work!

I'm glad I decided to pay the 20 bucks a month. Now I have a good reliable backup connection and I since I cannot work without the internet, the money is worth it. Oh yeah, beware of workers digging in your back yard too.
  2. Abe21599

Abe21599 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

maybe this will save you 20$/month

check out new to android link in my sig (its for the DX).

go to droid X hacks and check out rooting your phone. there are simple one-click apps that do this too (androot and easyroot)

once thats done, you can install this:

android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

and do the same thing for free.

i know this is a lot at one time (esp if you dont know what rooting is, then see link 2) but if you have any questions, then just ask. IMO i cant justify paying $20 more on top of a $30 data plan.
  3. stevem.fl

stevem.fl New Member

Thanks for the information Abe! I'll check it out.
  4. radiohead6129

radiohead6129 New Member

Hi stevem,
    A quick question, if you are already connected to a Wifi network on the droid x, what happens when you turn on Wifi hotspot? Does it still keep the connection to your wireless router?
  5. stevem.fl

stevem.fl New Member

In my situation, the connection to the default wireless router was still there when I turned on the Droid mobile hotspot and I had to use VZAccess Manager to switch to the Droid network. In the meantime, the workers fixed my connection and I used VZAccess manager to switch back.
  6. viper3773

viper3773 New Member

i agree can't afford $20 more a month espec for something you can get freee.

what do we download from that link if there is no droid x version or w/e?

thanks!
  7. radiohead6129

radiohead6129 New Member

I see, thanks for the reply.

I wonder if you turn on mobile hotspot while you have a good/working Wifi connection which can connect to the internet, will the devices connected to the droid x be able to access the internet through the Wifi link droid is connected to :)
  8. liferefugee

liferefugee New Member

when you use vznavigator you are essentially adding a new wifi device to your computer. Your computer can only use 1 of the wifi devices for your internet usage but can have both devices (your droid and your wireless card) active. This only works for when you tether using the usb cable method.

If using the wifi method to tether, since your wifi card can only connect to 1 network at a time, you would have to drop your connection to your router to pick up the connection to your droid.

One question I have still though that perhaps someone can answer...

If you can not use adhoc networks to tether to, and can not use the usb cable method (both are restricted where I work, no non company devices hooked to the company laptop) is there an app, rooted or not, that still lets you tether without paying big red another $20/mo?
  9. Slothead

Slothead New Member

Thanks for the info. I did not realize that you had to pay $20 a month for the Wifi tethering. I use PdaNet with my Droid 1 with my laptop USB-tethered for $19 (one time forever). So I will probably buy a second full version (if I can't use the one I have already for my Droid X too (if it works on there), to equip for two laptop connections.
  10. jlilnc14

jlilnc14 New Member

Droid X Froyo update

Is the 3g Mobile Hotspot free with the froyo 2.2 update? Will verizon add the 3g package if i use it? thanks
  11. liferefugee

liferefugee New Member

From what I have been reading, they took out the notice about being charged when people use the app. I would say be careful and check your bill.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  12. spider210

spider210 Member

Yes you will be charged

13. deano 177

deano 177 New Member

14. BoJatey

BoJatey New Member

Ok, the more I read the more I get confused. Rooted to use Wifi Tether and all set to buy an adapter for my computer but do I have to open Wifi Hotspot app to use it and you're saying Verizon can see that and will charge me. I thought Wifi Tether was a way to get around it. So want to get rid of Charter. What if I use the bluetooth option in WFT instead of Wifi?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  15. deano 177

deano 177 New Member

in my experiance.. using the link I listed above... you turn the wifi on and when you log on with your connected device you may get the verizon page. simply turn the signal off and then back on as described in the link and you should be connected to the net via droid x wifi. I dont know if verizon can "see" if you use their wifi connection...
  16. iCello

iCello New Member

Hey, I'm the author of that blog post. 2 things:
    1. Thanks for reading and linking.
    2. I've used this extensively on my DX and have never been charged... However, I can't completely guarantee that you wont be.
  17. owensct

owensct New Member

Using the Droid X as a hotspot without paying

Hi Guys,

I have been reading this post with some interest, but I have to say that it blows me away.

Is Verizon overcharging us? Yes!
    Should we have to pay extra to connect our Droid X to our laptops? No!

However, the bottom line is this is stealing plain and simple, but people seem to dismiss it out of hand like it's not a big deal. When we signed up with our carrier we agreed to be bound by the terms of that agreement.

We as people of this world complain, gripe and moan when the oil companies gouge us at the pump and make billions in profits every year. When corporate executives take home multimillion dollar bonuses every quarter but don't pay their workers a fare wage. We complain about all the banks and mortgage companies that caused the housing crisis by stealing billions and almost causing a second great depression.

But really how different is what is being suggested here. Yes it’s on a much smaller scale, but how is it any less wrong than what these organizations have done to us.

We as individuals are the lowest common dominators in this world’s moral compass. We ask ourselves what’s wrong with this world and decry all the horrible things that are done and tolerated, but we as individuals are the basic building blocks of society, if we build a building, (our world wide society) with faulty building materials, (individuals of this world who compromise their ethics and morals), how can we complain if the building comes crashing down? If we can justify stealing a little, how dare we complain and judge those who steal a lot!

How would you feel if your neighbor tapped into your electric meter, just to run his home theater system? Hey it’s only a few bucks a month, less than a Starbucks – no big deal right? Or someone piggy backed off your WiFi without your permission, what’s it costing you? Or someone came into your garage and borrowed you lawn mower without telling you or asking?

Would we be OK with that? No way, we would be on the phone to the electric company and/or the police in a heartbeat.

I know I am going to get flamed for this, but I just felt like I had to say something.

There is an old saying that I believe that goes like this:

The person faithful in what is least is faithful also in much, and the person unrighteous in what is least is unrighteous also in much.

Are we not unrighteous in much, just becuase we haven't had the opportunity???

Cheers,

Brian
  18. liferefugee

liferefugee New Member

Is it against the tos? yes. Is it stealing? no. unless you can tell me what is stolen, I can't agree with it being labeled as that. Is it the data? Nope, we pay for the data. Is it the connection software to hook up another device? Nope, that comes with the phone we bought. The $20 a month to tether is just for the right to use another device. After all if I used tether to surf the web or watch a movie then I am just using the same data I would if I did the same thing from my phone.

I see it more like taking my own candy to the movie theater. They say I can't, so it is "wrong" but am I stealing from the theater? You might say yes, because that is less money for them from me buying candy. What if I just go without the candy if I can't bring it in? They still don't get the extra money but now I don't get to enjoy the movie with a snack.

If I tether and do things I can do from my phone is it any different? I still agree we shouldn't since it is against the tos, but I also believe the tos should be changed.

19. Wuffpack99

Wuffpack99 New Member

^+1. If you want to use it, pay for it, whether you think it's fair or not.
  20. brockeverly

brockeverly New Member

I agree with you 100%.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
Search tags for this page
droid x as wifi hotspot

droid x wifi hotspot

droid x wireless hotspot
how to tether droid x to laptop for free
how to use droid x as hotspot
how to use droid x as hotspot for free
how to use your droid x as a hotspot