USing Droid without activating on Verizon?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Mark Larson, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Mark Larson

Mark Larson New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Droid today - it was a good deal, and I had been wanting to get an Android device for a while now, but I didn't want to pay the monthly data fees. dancedroid

So when I saw one with a bad ESN, I figured the price was right, and I bought it. It had 2.1 on it, and I promptly updated it to 2.2 FRG01. However, it doesn't seem to want to work without communicating with Verizon's servers.

I put in my wifi information and switched on the wifi, but when I open the Browser it just tells me it can't find the website (any website).

When I open Market it asks me to log in via my Gmail ID, but when I do that, it tells me "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the Server. This could be a temporary problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data services. Call Customer Care"

I know that on the iPhone you could jailbreak to skip activation. Is that not possible with the Droid?

2. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I think by jailbreak you mean "root". The term is used on the iphone because their devices are in jail, and their users belong in jail.

You can bypass the activation by clicking the four corners and then the android. (Feel free to google this one, there are even youtube videos).

You should be able to use it on WiFi just fine. The market should work for you as well providing you have a gmail account. You should be able to make calls via SIPdroid.

E

3. R3D3M0N

R3D3M0N New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I dang near poo-ed lol...
    I could look this up but i figured you might already know if there's an app to send texts over WiFi... I could possibly ditch my bill...:heart::greendroid:

4. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Google Voice will do what you want. Free on Market if not already installed.

:)

E

5. Mark Larson

Mark Larson New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input guys. It seems the wifi was the issue - it just randomly started connecting to websites yesterday and I was then able to browse the market, install some apps etc.

However today I'm trying to use it with my TP2, which has a hotspot built-in. My laptop can connect to the TP2's hotspot, but the Droid doesn't see it. Looking around, I see that the Droid has wifi issues - is there any way to fix it?

6. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I find that turning WiFi off and on works most of the time. Doing that and rebooting my Netgear access-point works all of the time.

E

7. imaustinyourenot

imaustinyourenot New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm right there... so close!
    I'm able to get on websites with my wifi only droid, but I can't successfully register(?) my google account with the droid to download apps. It says: "Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server. This could be a temporary problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data services. If t continues, call Customer Care."

Accessing this forum, it offered me the free droidforums app but if I click Ok it asks me to register my google acct

I bought the phone used.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  8. dm1027

dm1027 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When you enter your google account info and click submit, pull down the menu from the top of the screen. Several times I have had to click to allow the permission for the program to run and log me in.

Hope its something this simply fixed for you...

9. imaustinyourenot

imaustinyourenot New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot. I kept searching the net and found a solution where I register thru the YouTube app, which worked after a few tries.

Now the marketplace says 'Server unavailable. Please try again later.'

I'm also reading up on rooting. Glad to have found this board! dancedroid

10. BobF4

BobF4 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, I JUSt got my Droid Eris on Tuesday. Previously, I used an LG Dare with Page Plus Cellular (a Verizon reseller).

When I got my Eris, I called into Page Plus, gave them my MEID and the switched my number over to my new phone! Everything works fine, including internet and mail. Surprisingly, the Market let me access and INSTALL VCast Song ID, with no issues! VZ Navigator also appears to be working, too.

Search tags for this page
activate droid x2 without service

how to activate droid 2 without verizon

how to activate verizon phone without service

how to use a verizon phone without activating it

how to use droid without activating
how to use droid x without activating
how to use verizon phone without activating
use motorola droid without activation
use verizon phone without activating
use verizon phone without activation