Using Droid w/Mac?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You definitely need to be technically savvy to get it all set up on your Mac. I consider myself very technical, and still got a bit of a headache doing it all. What I did first is make sure that all the automatic syncing worked with my iPod Touch. I had to change all my settings there so that it didn't rely at all on syncing via iTunes or MobileMe. (Not contacts, though -- I don't think the Touch/iPhone has a way to sync from Google.)

In plainer terms:
1) Set up a Google account with gmail
2) Create a calendar there, and figure out how to export/import your iCal events so that Google is now your "master" calendar
3) Change your iCal setting to read from that Google calendar. Stop using any local (On My Mac) calendars
4) Get you iPhone to use your Google calendar -- google instructions
5) Google instructions for syncing your Address Book with Google; when you make changes on your Mac, there will be a sync button on your toolbar that you can press to sync with Google
6) Find out if your email provider supports "IMAP" mail in addition to "POP". If so, follow their instructions on setting up IMAP mail on your Mac AND iPhone. If you get that working, then you'll do a similar setup on a droid.

Unfortunately, if this still sounds like jargon, then a droid phone probably isn't the right choice for you...

I kind of disagree about having to be tech savvy, but I think you broke it down to as about as simple as it can be and totally agree with you. If the OP thinks that's a bit much then this phone simply is not for them.

cleassan

Reaction score
Technically proficient, then. ;) Being able to look up directions and follow them without being lost.

OP, glad this helped! My husband uses MobileMe and says that if you are already using that for all your email, there is an easy way to set up the droid to read in MobileMe mail (just input username and password).

drdave

Reaction score
I have been using an Eris. Syncing Contacts and iCal works fairly well. Moving photos from iPhoto and music from iTunes has been much more confusing, even with Doubletwist, which I agree, comes support-free. When attenpting to move albums or even individual photos, the music and photo files get plopped all over the Eris' SD card in weird ways - not indexed comprehensibly. I would like to wipe the SD card and start fresh, but am not sure how to set up a file system on the card to (attempt to) move things to from the iMac so that they land in their original order. We are not prepared YET to give up Verizon to get an iPhone, although that would be an easy solution. Any other ideas will be appreciated.

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
People have said Salling works a lot better and Missing Sync:

Salling Software - Salling Media Sync for Mac

But I am doing things "the hard way" for now.

I actually got a Google Voice number and give that out so I can route various #'s differently. As an added bonus I can answer texts without actually being on my phone. Anyway...

I exported out all my Contacts in Address Book (vCard format) and imported them into Google Voice so that will sync with the phone. If the time comes I feel my contacts have gotten out of sync I can export Google to Mac or vice versa as both have duplicate resolution. It literally takes seconds.

Using Double Twist for iTunes.

Photos are a manual process as it is not a big deal plus I use Aperture so I would not want a sync to iPhoto anyway.

You got your iCal answer above.

DebianDog

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well DUH (I missed this) if you have the latest Snow Leopard Mac OS you can just have it sync your contacts.

attachment.php