Using Droid RAZR's 4G access via Ethernet Port

samtunes

Reaction score
Hello all, I have a laptop that has a laptop ExpressCard port and Ethernet port to access the internet--all other methods (e.g. USB/Wifi) have been disabled for security reasons (I do not have admin rights to the computer). I know that I can go out and buy an ExpressCard and all that comes with that; however, I was hoping I could save myself some trouble and $$$ by simply tethering my Droid RAZR via the Ethernet Port. Please see link below to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Amazon.com: Micro USB to Ethernet Port Adapter for Tablet 7"/8"/10" inch: Electronics

So, my question is, will the device above work or is there any device out there that will convert the micro USB signal to Ethernet and vice versa. I'm trying to keep the cost below $30 and I'd ideally like something that can be powered by the laptop via the Ethernet cable (if that's even possible) or maybe chargeable so I don't have to look for plug-ins everywhere I go.

The Laptop has Windows XP running on it and I can not install any drivers or software on it. Please let me know if there any clever ideas out there if product above does not work. Thank you.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It might work as long as you are paying for a tether plan. Most free, wired tether apps need some software installed on the computer.

Just a quick question on the note that you have a system that is locked down. Have you checked in the BIOS to see if the wifi was turned off at the hardware level?

To get in to the BIOS you usuallyvhave to press F8 or F12 during bootup.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
S

samtunes

Reaction score
Update...

So, I tried the BIOS and of course that is locked down by admin. As I was messing around with my phone yesterday, I noticed that there is an ethernet function under Settins -> Wireless & Network settings. What's that all about? I'm going to see if I can find anything online...