Using droid for music in your car?

mikedyk43

Reaction score
I have two Motorola docks for the D3, one in my car where I stream audio via bluetooth and the other in my wife's car with it plugged into the aux input to the stereo. I believe there are two versions sold Verizon, one have the aux cable included and the other without. The. One that includes it has the aux output jack branch off of the usb connection through the dock. This means you don't have to plug in an additional 3.5mm jack to your phone every time you get into the car, just drop it into the dock. Unfortunetly this setup still requires you to control your music from the phone which is why I prefer bluetooth audio in my car so that I can control everything through the stereo.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

hoosiermama

Reaction score
I have a 06 civic sedan ex with nav all stock but the civic came with the aux connector bellow the cig lighter I just didn't know if it would actually work or not if I were to hook up to the car

That's the same car I have, and it works just fine. I got an aux cable at Best Buy, plug it in and it plays fine.

comk4ver

Reaction score
Well if you have a cassette deck (tape player) then go to radio shack and get an cassette converter it looks like a cassette tape but with a wire coming out of it. Then connect that wire to the droid. Standard is 3.5 but double check! My boyfriend uses this for his stock 92 ford Crown Victoria...

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

NoBloatware

Reaction score
I like this method or just get a new radio installed with bluetooth or aux line in:

3. FM modulator (antenna direct connection). This modulator transmits, but not over the airwaves. You insert the car radio antenna plug into the back of this modulator, and the modulator's antenna plugs into the back of the car radio where it directly injects the signal. Sound quality is better, and less variable, than with other FM modulators. Cost is $30 to $75 and you may want an audio shop to install it. Check out products from Fahrenheit and Scosche, among others.
Pro: Adequate to good sound quality. Draws from car power (no batteries). Con: May need pro installation (but it's not that hard). A handful of esoteric cars may lack the standard antenna jack or it will be in the trunk (requiring extra wiring).

EDIT: Less than $30 with free shipping at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Scosche-FM-MOD02-Universal-Modulator-Satellite/dp/B001QBG614/

I don't like the FM transmitter ones cuz it is a pain to find a station. I've had bad luck with them.

Last edited:
OP
D

dsernacpht

Reaction score
Thank you hoosiermama :) you are the best any other suggestion for me?

Endoroid

Reaction score
If its got a 3.5 or even RCA in, any device that accepts headphones can be played on it. If its RCA you need an adaptor. Your car is basically a big set of headphones

Sent from my rooted xt860

hoosiermama

Reaction score
any other suggestion for me?

Nope. The Griffin cable I have fits both the Droid jack and the car. Just watch the volume when you unplug the Droid! I learned that the hard way....:blink:

ItsKorun

Reaction score
My car has an aux input for the stereo and I use the droid 3 dock and the included cable to play, usic stereo. It works pretty good except any notification tones will interrupt playback momentarily to play. I can probably find a way around that using tasker or whatever but haven't gotten around to it. I also have to mute navigation instructions if I'm using that at the same time but aside from those it works as you would expect.

xconwayx

Reaction score
I have a fm transmitter installed in my car. The one that was just linked where you can break the connection between the antenna. Works great, although I wonder if I should put an amp between the device and the 3.5mm cord. Just sounds weak.

REMilk

Reaction score
I'm having a different issue in my gf's car. She's got a bone stock 2006 Subaru outback and i cannot connect my phone to her stereo thanks to the lack of an auxiliary port on her stereo. Anything I can purchase or download to use my droid through her radio? That's what she does with her iphone 4. Such an icky phone.

There are FM transmitters that you plug unto the headphone jack that transmit to an unused FM frequency. These work OK. My experience is if you are in a major FM radio market, Chicago, NY, LA, these do not work well as there are few open frequencies and the frequencies are very crowded. Another problem with them is that as you travel, you may need to change the transmitting frequency on the transmitter, the find the corresponding FM station frequency.

I used these for my previous vehicle which did not have an AUX port.

Good Luck,
Bob

spunker88

Reaction score
I just use a generic 3.5mm plug FM transmitter. If you can find one that does 87.7 or 87.9 I'd recommend it as these frequencies are usually tunable on car radios but the FCC doesn't license many stations on it. I have this one which also plays MP3s straight from an SD card or flash drive which I use. I only plug the Droid in for streaming stuff over 3G.

Amazon.com: Soundfly SD WMA/MP3 Player Car Fm Transmitter for SD Card, USB Stick, Mp3 Players (iPod, Zune): Electronics

This one is plenty loud unlike other transmitters I've tried. You can go back and forth between it and regular FM without having to adjust the dial much.