Using Droid as my portable "office"

Letty

Reaction score
As important as using my Motorola Droid as a phone is using it as a portable office. I downloaded "documents to go" and understand how to use them. What I want to know is what creating, keeping, updating, sending, etc. etc. documents is actually doing in/to my Droid. Is everything on my SD card? How much storage do I really have? I really have a million questions. :) So I guess I'm asking is there some reference or manual that helps me understand how my droid really works as a mini-computer (not just the shallow basics)? How to understand it's platform? No, I don't wish to root, just understand what I can do with my Droid as it is now. I don't know enough to ask the right questions one by one!

Lars1

Reaction score
As important as using my Motorola Droid as a phone is using it as a portable office. I downloaded "documents to go" and understand how to use them. What I want to know is what creating, keeping, updating, sending, etc. etc. documents is actually doing in/to my Droid. Is everything on my SD card? How much storage do I really have? I really have a million questions. :) So I guess I'm asking is there some reference or manual that helps me understand how my droid really works as a mini-computer (not just the shallow basics)? How to understand it's platform? No, I don't wish to root, just understand what I can do with my Droid as it is now. I don't know enough to ask the right questions one by one!

Your documents live on your SD card and if you are using the SD card your Droid came with, you have 16 gigabytes of available space.

Search the forums for a downloadable PDF users guide for the basics of Droiding.

My best advice to you would be to read as much as you can on this forum (probably the best one out there!) and you will find answers to questions you never knew you had!

Have fun!

OP
L

Letty

Reaction score
16 gigs--cool! I will and I am having fun! Thanks! I like your signature quote.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Letty,

I don't think you'll find what you're asking for. Main reason is that most of information you're looking for is split between technical discussions of the android OS and technical discussions of the Droid hardware. And please don't take this as an insult (I really don't mean it that way), but if you're asking how the SD card is used, it suggests you don't have the background to dig very deeply into those areas.

Having said that, however, I may be completely wrong or you may be motivated to dig into some of the material and acquire the expertise. I can't help you on the hardware side. It's not my forte. But perhaps the link below will give you an idea of how the android OS works. Look around in the site, including the videos. Even if you're not a developer it will give you a lot of information that will be helpful in understanding how the OS works.

What is Android? | Android Developers

And here's a less technical resource that you may find helpful.

What Is Android - A Guide To The Android Mobile Platform

OP
L

Letty

Reaction score
Thanks! You won't insult me. I've learned too much by asking questions even when they show my ignorance! The learning is more important to me than my ego.

I bought my first home PC in the 1980s and taught myself how to use it and always enjoyed, though not educated in the technical field, knowing a bit more than just the "tell me what to click" knowledge. I found that when I understood the OS more than just the surface instructions, I could figure out how to do new things on my own.

Now that I just got my Droid, and my first smart phone ever, I feel like I'm back in the 80s starting all over! But that doesn't discourage me. It's fun learning all over again about something that I'm rapidly becoming as attached to as my personal PC. So that's why I want to go just a bit deeper.

Thanks for the links! The 2nd one in particular was what I had in mind. I'll keep studying and as time goes by, I'm sure my questions will be more focused and less "bi-polar". :)