Using Cyanogen 5.0.5 & Clockwork Recovery, Need to go Back to Stock 2.0.1

wbmason1

Reaction score
Yes, I used DM updater to download CM Mod. Ok, so I looked through the root of the sd card, and I didn't see update-stock.zip so I went back to DMupdater and now I'm downloading it. Yes, it says my card isn't mounted but I know it is. So after the update-stock.zip is on my card, what do I need to do?

wbmason1

Reaction score
Ok, so now after the download completed it asked me if I wanted to flash the rom, I said yes. Now I have an exclamation mark with a little green droid guy under it. what do I do now?

wbmason1

Reaction score
it says " invaled command argument" "E:failed to verify whole-file signature" "installation aborted" "ClockworkMod Recovery v1.7.6

I'm stuck in this stupid HELL!!! I just want to UNroot my phone! and I can't get it to work right!!!

Last edited:
OP
H

hepbone

Reaction score
I don't know that I would be the best one to walk you through this, but I'm trying my best. All I have to go on is what I learned yesterday when I was stuck in your situation.

First, I would check and make sure that you have the update-stock.zip on your phone now that it downloaded. Then I would run the Terminal Commands again to force SP Recovery back onto your phone. That should get rid of Clockwork Recovery, I think. Then after the reboot go right into DM Updater and tell it to install the Stock 2.0.1 ROM. When the phone reboots, I was told that it will be an automated process to get back to stock.

Does anyone else know if that is correct? Will DM Updater automate the process to put the stock 2.0.1 back on your phone?

(Once I got my Google sync working on Cyanogen, I don't really see the need to leave it.)

wbmason1

Reaction score
ok, I'll give it another shot. Thank you for all your help!!! I really apreciate it!!! I can't seem to get anyone else to give me any answers. I'm using another forum also and noone will even comment on my situation there. =(

OP
H

hepbone

Reaction score
You're welcome, sorry I'm not technical enough to REALLY get you through this. I completely understand your frustration, I was extremely frustrated yesterday. I found a bunch of forums to read and post in. Most people either gave very general answers, or I got no replies at all. For the general answers, I was too scared to choose an option because I didn't want to risk being stuck in Recovery only mode something. I really didn't know what would happen. I wanted someone to give me the exact steps to take, but that didn't happen.

I did private message a guy named pilotcharles747 on here. He got back to me after I fixed my Google sync issue, but I told him what the other guy said about getting back to stock, which is exactly what you're doing now. He replied and confirmed that it will work, so you must be on the right path. I just haven't done it myself because I'm not ready yet. I'm very interested in finding out if you have to do anything extra than what I was told.

matusov

Reaction score
hepbone what exactly did you do to get the google apps and to sync the google account?

Im on a Nexus One and I have the exact same issue, just rooted to cm-5.0.5 but now i have no google apps and cant sync. Please help.

OP
H

hepbone

Reaction score
MATUSOV - Not sure if you have your issue resolved yet, sorry I didn't see this until just now.

This was done on a DROID, so I don't know if they operate the same way or not for this stuff... but here's what I did:

* Download and save this gapps-passion-EPE54B-signed.zip
* Connect the phone to your computer. If you have a "update.zip" on your phone (on sd card), delete it.
* Copy this new file to the root directory of your sd card and rename it update.zip
* Then unplug your phone, reboot into recovery mode (hold X while powering on)
* Then in Clockwork Recovery, the second option is Apply Update.zip or something like that. Choose that option.
* When it's done, select Reboot from the options to reboot your phone.
* You should have the Google Apps and be able to log in when it boots back up.

After you get this fixed, make sure you get ROM Manager from the Market because you can do all of this from ROM Manager now, and it's a pretty automated system with that. Make sure you get the (Premium) one for $3.99 because it has all the options, plus you'll donate to keep that program running and make our lives easier. I've used it to update to 5.0.5.3 and today to 5.0.5.4. It downloads the update for you and has a popup now to check the box for Google Apps. Plus it can install stock 2.0.1 if you want to go back.

I hope that fixes your issue if you didn't find a fix already.

Last edited:

matusov

Reaction score
hepbone thanks for the reply!!! i actually fixed it on my own . Then i read up on that cyanogen was asked not to include the google apps so added them manually.

Ill tell you it was a pretty frustrating day dealing with rooting for the first time. As an experienced iPhone jailbreaker this was definitely a more involved process.

I installed CM Updater to do the updates as well as Titanium backup to restore all the apps and data. Does ROM Manager have any advantages over CM Updater? So far i dont see 5.0.5.4 in there the highest one is 5.0.5.3, do i have to upgrade in increments as i'm on 5.0.5 now?

OP
H

hepbone

Reaction score
Glad you got that fixed! This was my first time rooting as well, but I thought it went very well and was pretty easy. The hardest part was figuring out why I couldn't log into Google and how to resolve it, but getting Cyanogen on the phone was easy.

DM Updater only got me to Droid Mod, but ROM Manager got me to Cyanogen from there. When I tried to use DM Updater to go back to Stock (while I was freaking out), it kept saying my SD Card was not mounted to the phone. Then I found out there's a big workaround to get that fixed. Well now, ROM Manager does everything DM Updater can do, and then some; like the fact that you can install lots of other mods from there.

I'm not sure if upgrading Cyanogen is incremental, but from what you're seeing I would say it is. If you haven't already, install the 5.0.5.3 from ROM Manager, it's really easy. Just click on it in ROM Manager and check off Google Apps when it pops up. Then it will download the update, which you can see in the notification bar. Next it will pop you back into ROM Manager and give you a warning I think, ask if you want to backup (I would) & wipe data (you don't need to check this), and then ask you to hit OK to reboot. Once it reboots it's automated. It will go into recovery, unpack and install everything, and then reboot back in the normal phone. And BAM! You're updated. I think it takes about 3 minutes or so.

And yeah, I went ahead and bought My Backup Pro to backup all my data. That worked great! It even backed up my Note Everything notes and OIShopping lists.

If you haven't yet, check out the website Droid Life: A Motorola Droid Blog. It's a great site with a lot of useful information and How To videos. You can find videos on here about using ROM Manager to update Cyanogen if you're a little nervous.

I have a friend with a iPhone 3Gs and he was thinking about Jailbreaking it. We tried looking up some information but it seemed a little confusing. And all the warnings on the websites made him nervous. I tried to explain that the warnings are no different from the same things I saw doing this.

matusov

Reaction score
Just as a bit of a hint the 3GS warnings should really be taken seriously right now. DO NOT TRY TO JAILBREAK 3GS. As of right now there are really no ways to hack it right now. Most of them came with the latest software that had the updated radio...which if he attempted to jailbreak might break. Tell him to wait for a bit for an official jailbreak app to come out.

nka

Reaction score
FYI. there is a sirPsycho 0.99.3 flash recovery option at the bottom of Rom Manager.

OP
H

hepbone

Reaction score
Just as a bit of a hint the 3GS warnings should really be taken seriously right now. DO NOT TRY TO JAILBREAK 3GS. As of right now there are really no ways to hack it right now. Most of them came with the latest software that had the updated radio...which if he attempted to jailbreak might break. Tell him to wait for a bit for an official jailbreak app to come out.

Thanks for the info! I'll pass it along to him!