Using apps while making calls...

whatwebecome

Reaction score
Ok. This may have been discussed before but I'm new to the droid world so excuse any duplication. Does anyone else have a problem using apps(facebook, google talk,) while on phone calls? My phone will only run apps if I have wifi enabled during a call. For work purposes, I usually need to make long conference calls and during them I will tend to my companies social media and also chat with other coworkers on google talk. Wifi enabling is not always available so it would be nice if I could do all this at once without wifi. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

Reaction score
you can't be on the phone and use the internet or any apps that use the internet at the same time on Verizon.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
It's because Verizon's cdma network can't make data transfers during a phone call. You can use apps but only ones that don't require a data connection.

tappin and a talkin

OP
whatwebecome

whatwebecome

Reaction score
Awesome. That's what I thought. Ill work on being less of a workaholic now instead of doing twenty things at once. This phone still beats my blackberry by miles. Thanks for the answers.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Can I use the apps and be on the phone at the same time if I have wi-fi enabled? Will the apps know to use that instead of the 3G?

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Woah. I feel like I just found out this huge secret, lol. This is great for me, because most of the places I go with any consistency have WiFi networks.

OP
whatwebecome

whatwebecome

Reaction score
I'm using it right now as I'm on conference call Lauren. All my apps are working as designed with wifi enabled.dancedroid

OP
whatwebecome

whatwebecome

Reaction score
Woah. I feel like I just found out this huge secret, lol. This is great for me, because most of the places I go with any consistency have WiFi networks.

Hahaha! I hear that. I hadn't hit wifi while I was on the phone until this morning. Now I don't have to listen to my coworkers who tend to blab on conf calls. I can actually get some other work done while they waste everyone's time!

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's because Verizon's cdma network can't make data transfers during a phone call. You can use apps but only ones that don't require a data connection.

tappin and a talkin

I understand that the 4G phones will be able to do both (assuming you're in a 4G city).