Using a Mac to root

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by mwhartman, Feb 12, 2010.

1. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I want to root my Droid so I've read articles and visited sites that are dedicated to rooting. I thank all of the individuals who took time to write, post, and share their experiences.

Many, if not all, of the articles I've read, emphasize the importance of following the step by step procedures, exactly as written. I use a Mac so the instructions and examples contained in the articles and sites written for a PC will be different for a Mac.

I want to make sure that I follow the instructions so that the I successfully complete the root. For example, making sure that I correctly place the update.zip file on the the sd card and creating a good backup.

I've downloaded the update file. Using "get info" I was able to determine that the file I downloaded was 16.5 mb. It does not, however, tell me that I have the .zip file extension

If there is member of the forum who used a Mac to root their Droid would you be kind enough to direct me to a site that contains examples for Mac users or tell me how to proceed.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and help.

Mike

2. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll subscribe to this so as you go through it, if you could let me know what mod you are using and what not so I can update my guide if you are installing Bugless Beast.

If you wanted to use Sholes Updater you don't even need a computer. But if you want Bugless Beast you'll have to figure it out. I don't have a Mac to test it out on so I can't be a help there. But I can convert your struggles into easier times for future users of my guide if you keep me updated.

3. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member
    Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It really doesn't matter if you have a Mac or a PC. You can just do this from your phone and don't need a computer.

4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Yes, just pay the 5.00 and use Sholes. It works well.

5. mwhartman

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I love this forum. The members respond quickly and are so willing to help.

I will try to keep a record of what I do and forward to you so that you can included in your current writeup.

6. mwhartman

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    It really doesn't matter if you have a Mac or a PC. You can just do this from your phone and don't need a computer.

Ok Now I'm confused. If I need a backup etc, how am I able to root without using a computer?

7. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    What do you need to back up? Your apps? If you lose your apps you can just download them again at the market place. I used the $5.00 Shoals and I did lose my apps but my paid apps were in my downloads in the market place and I just replaced the free ones. Google backs up your contacts and calendar.

8. mwhartman

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I understood that rooting would not impact my apps, contacts, corporate email etc. I thought I needed a backup to recover if I made a mistake or, if for some reason I wanted to, it to allow me to return to stock.

Additionally, I thought I would need a backup and a computer if I decided to move from one rom to another.

9. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    To move from rom to rom, yes, that would have to be done on computer. But as far as back up goes, that's the beauty of google. It backs up everything for you.

Did you use to have a Blackberry by any chance?

10. mwhartman

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +12
    No I never used a BB. Prior to my purchasing my Droid, I used an iPhone for a year.

I thought that I had read enough and understood rooting but, now, it appears that I still have a lot more to learn. Perhaps, I need to spend a few more days reading and researching before I root.

11. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +8
    If you're not comfortable doing it with Sholes then by all means look at other avenues to do it. I'm a mac person too so for me that was the easiest way to root.

12. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    If you have any questions, though, we're here to help. Just spend a day in the hacking forums, haha.

Search tags for this page

mac droid sholes root