Using a Gear 2 Neo with a Droid Turbo 2

JRParsons

Reaction score
After a few years with Samsungs I'm considering a change, I'm a bit tired of needing a charger at dinner time. The 2 day battery life and shatterproof screen have me intrigued. I just spent a 1/2 hour at the Verizon Store playing with the Turbo 2. There is a good chance I'll order one this week. I wear a Galaxy Gear 2 Neo which, aside from looking really nerdy, I really like. I paid decent money for it a couple of years ago and have gotten used to it being on my wrist. I especially like the pedometer syncronation with the Samsung Health App.

Now to my question. The Samsung compatability page states:

Samsung Gear™ 2 and Gear 2 Neo are currently compatible with devices that meet the following criteria:

• Android™ version 4.3, Jelly Bean or higher
  • WVGA or higher screen resolution
  • 1.5GB or higher memory
Should I assume they only mean Samsung Devices? Does anybody out there use a Moto phone with a Samsung Gear 2. I believe the newer Gears work with all phones "out of the box", but the Gear 2 was a Samsung only device when I purchased it. It and the app that controls it (Gear Manager) has received multiple updates since I purchased it, so the device compatability may now be universal. I know there are workarounds via XDA for some of the features.

Alternatively, in the event the Gear 2 gets sold with the S5, what does everybody suggest for a modorately priced smart watch, thats no larger in size than the Gear 2, with similar features that's compatable with the Turbo 2 and works seamlessly with a good fitness tracking app. (Steps, Bike rides, Heart Rate, weight, etc.)

I did a google search and couldn't find a definitve answer to the compatablity question, so if this have been discussed or answered somewhere else I apologize. Thanks in advance.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Although I've seen some hacks for non Samsung phones to work with Gear 2 Neo.. Probably best to replace with a new smartwatch.. Moto 360 sport is around the corner and might be a nice pair with that Turbo

S6E+ tapatalk