User Agent Profile of LG G3 Supposedly Leaks Confirming 2K Display

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
lg-g2-back.jpg

The above is a press pic of the LG G2.

A User Agent Profile has been leaked for an LG device with the model number D850. This is most likely a version of the LG G3 which will be launched this Spring. The most intriguing thing revealed by this UAP us that this device does in fact include a 2K (2560×1440) QHD display. Obviously these things can be faked. Furthermore, there's no guarantee that the D850 really is the next LG G Series flagship. The evidence seems solid though, so we are betting it will be true.

The question remains... how important is it to move to a higher resolution display on a smartphone? Is this a feature that is important to you, or just marketing hype? Share your opinion.

Source: AndroidAuthority

coolicool

Official DF Vendor
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am waiting for G3 for a long time,I love the 2K Display

Sent from my iNew V3 using Tapatalk

RideZeLitenin

Reaction score
IMHO, until most tv's and monitors wield 2k displays, I'm more than happy with 1920x1080 (which is plenty, especially for a mobile device).

Last edited:

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
IMHO, until most tv's and monitors wield 2k displays, I'm more than happy with 1920x1080 (which is plenty, especially for a mobile device).

LOL Two years ago many said that 1080p on a mobile device was unnecessary and complete overkill. Imagine what we will be saying two years from now.

Tap'd from my LG G2

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
For a 5" device 2K is OVERKILL, if we are talking about a 10" tablet, then that would be a different story. On 5" 1080p devices the text is small as it is, can you imagine on a 2K 5" device, I am not planing to carry a magnifying glass in my pocket to read text, it's hard enough with 1080p screens on 5" devices. Devices have reached a point of diminishing returns, especially the high end sector, nothing revolutionary from any of the manufacturers, I don't consider finger scanners revolutionary, so I guess the next thing they will try to sell is 2K display devices with a 5" form factor, which makes no sense.

Last edited:

scott craft

Reaction score
I'm no against a 2K screen, but my eyes aren't the best so I doubt I'll be able to tell a difference between my G2 screen the G3 screen.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
For a 5" device 2K is OVERKILL, if we are talking about a 10" tablet, then that would be a different story. On 5" 1080p devices the text is small as it is, can you imagine on a 2K 5" device, I am not planing to carry a magnifying glass in my pocket to read text, it's hard enough with 1080p screens on 5" devices. Devices have reached a point of diminishing returns, especially the high end sector, nothing revolutionary from any of the manufacturers, I don't consider finger scanners revolutionary, so I guess the next thing they will try to sell is 2K display devices with a 5" form factor, which makes no sense.

Well its kind of like high megapixels in cameras. You think it's going to be horrible(Sony rx100/rx10/Nixon D800). But they turn out to be the best ever sensors produced in that sensor size. By a large margin. I think this is what we are going to see here. Brighter screens and a super increase in contrast ratio. The amount of pixels arent going to matter. It's the Super increase in quality.
I was thinking the same as you(I'm a photography buff), but I put what I know into place.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well its kind of like high megapixels in cameras. You think it's going to be horrible(Sony rx100/rx10/Nixon D800). But they turn out to be the best ever sensors produced in that sensor size. By a large margin. I think this is what we are going to see here. Brighter screens and a super increase in contrast ratio. The amount of pixels arent going to matter. It's the Super increase in quality.
I was thinking the same as you(I'm a photography buff), but I put what I know into place.
I also do photography, this is totally different from a sensor size of a camera. Comparing sensor size from a camera to resolution of a display, is like comparing apples to oranges.

acousticshade

Reaction score
I think it's worth trying 2k screens to see public reaction. Sure, it's probably a minimal increase in clarity, but look at all the people who scoffed at displays with resolutions greater than job's retina display. Turns out he was wrong and displays above his magic ppi number are clearer and easier to read.

It's good to push technology. Just look at the automotive industry. Sure most of us will never drive a 250 mph sports car, but it's great that they push the envelope for the 1% of the population that does. The rest of us will still drool.

bweN diorD

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
G2
LOL Two years ago many said that 1080p on a mobile device was unnecessary and complete overkill. Imagine what we will be saying two years from now.

Tap'd from my LG G2

Exactly! correct
in fact, im sure all the component specifications will continue to increase, probably forever.
i doubt we will ever see the day where the manufacturers concede to any spec as "good as it will ever get".
if that day were to arrive, were all specs topped out, the phone market would sink faster than the titanic.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I LOVE my G2. No interest in the G3. I will update to 4.4.2 soon.

I'm good with my G2 as well. Still one of the most powerful devices out there so I should be good until the G4. As long as it holds up.

Tap'd from my LG G2

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
I view the 2k screen negatively, but for different reasons than others. It's not that it's marginally better for any reason or another, tech will always progress and improve. What gets me is that the attention and focus for the improvement is not where it's supposed to be. The money being spent on a 2k screen is not being spent on battery tech. It's not being spent on a quality lens or sensor for the camera. Not being spent on better speakers for audio playback. Not being spent on improving sensor quality. Not spent on device refinement or better quality hardware. It's not being spent on tech to lower reflectivity of the glass. Not faster more efficient RAM. Not software enhancements. Not faster charging methods.

Instead it's being spent on foolishly high quality screens that have to be seen from 6" away to tell a difference from before. Screens that eat battery, can't be read worth a damn in sunlight because of the tech behind it is flawed.

I don't think I've been more unimpressed by a highlight reel feature in the smartphone segment. Improve the things that seriously NEED it and it will show sales through user experience. Is their anyone who wants a 2k screen more than any of these other things? I hope not.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I view the 2k screen negatively, but for different reasons than others. It's not that it's marginally better for any reason or another, tech will always progress and improve. What gets me is that the attention and focus for the improvement is not where it's supposed to be. The money being spent on a 2k screen is not being spent on battery tech. It's not being spent on a quality lens or sensor for the camera. Not being spent on better speakers for audio playback. Not being spent on improving sensor quality. Not spent on device refinement or better quality hardware. It's not being spent on tech to lower reflectivity of the glass. Not faster more efficient RAM. Not software enhancements. Not faster charging methods.

But doesn't LG, and Sammie for sure, do its own displays? The tech for most of the components you mention usually is on the suppliers and out of OEM control.