Useless gorilla glass

ru2301

Reaction score
anyone's droid razr screen crack as easily as mine did?

So for a phone that has a solid backing and strong gorilla glass on the front, one may wonder whats really the point if it doesn't protect whats on the inside.

-So as luck has it, with a case and screen protector on, i go into the bathroom go to put my phone down on the counter top, falls out of my hand, falling from a height of about 6inches landing on the counter top, and somehow gets a small crack that flows along the side of the screen, and can only be seen at certain angles or when it's in the light. It made the whole screen a bunch of colors, and now nothing appears on the screen at all, but still rings when my alarm goes off or get phone calls, just cant do anything about them. To top it all off the crack isn't even on the surface, can't even feel it. Some how it cracked on the inside under the gorilla glass.

[h=6]so i go into verizon today to deal with my broken phone :( this is how the convo goes:

VZ lady: the screen has a small crack against the side
Me: how, you can't feel anything on the outside
VZ lady: yea it's cracked on the inside under the gorilla glass
Me: how does the inside crack but outside doesn't
VZ lady: well the outside is made of gorilla glass, which is extremely difficult to break
Me: okay so let me get this straight, i had a case and screen protector on, and the screen is gorilla glass which is made not to break easily, it only fell 6 inches, but the inside still cracks
VZ lady: yes that's correct
Me: SO whats the point of having a pretty much unbreakable outside if it doesn't really keep the inside from breaking or cracking?

VZ Lady: to be honest, I really don't know[/h]I feel like maybe it was just freakish bad luck and hit at the worst angle at the phones weak spot or something; or has anyone else experienced screen damage off of a very light impact?

kparks

Reaction score
anyone's droid razr screen crack as easily as mine did?

So for a phone that has a solid backing and strong gorilla glass on the front, one may wonder whats really the point if it doesn't protect whats on the inside.

-So as luck has it, with a case and screen protector on, i go into the bathroom go to put my phone down on the counter top, falls out of my hand, falling from a height of about 6inches landing on the counter top, and somehow gets a small crack that flows along the side of the screen, and can only be seen at certain angles or when it's in the light. It made the whole screen a bunch of colors, and now nothing appears on the screen at all, but still rings when my alarm goes off or get phone calls, just cant do anything about them. To top it all off the crack isn't even on the surface, can't even feel it. Some how it cracked on the inside under the gorilla glass.

[h=6]so i go into verizon today to deal with my broken phone :( this is how the convo goes:

VZ lady: the screen has a small crack against the side
Me: how, you can't feel anything on the outside
VZ lady: yea it's cracked on the inside under the gorilla glass
Me: how does the inside crack but outside doesn't
VZ lady: well the outside is made of gorilla glass, which is extremely difficult to break
Me: okay so let me get this straight, i had a case and screen protector on, and the screen is gorilla glass which is made not to break easily, it only fell 6 inches, but the inside still cracks
VZ lady: yes that's correct
Me: SO whats the point of having a pretty much unbreakable outside if it doesn't really keep the inside from breaking or cracking?

VZ Lady: to be honest, I really don't know[/h]I feel like maybe it was just freakish bad luck and hit at the worst angle at the phones weak spot or something; or has anyone else experienced screen damage off of a very light impact?

So its in the second glass on the inside lol what was she talking about? .... The screen got a hairline crack in the glass but from the inside it sounds like these types of cracks usually occurs when the corner of the phone hits a surface but with all that built strong BS oooooo its got this and waterproofing and kevlar lol :) ... I'd be pissed tho
Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Last edited:

phat6

Reaction score
went to bed last night my razr screen was PERFECT. woke up this am got ready for work, on the way to take my little girl to school noticed my screen had a crack on it. Never been dropped since i got it fri night. Went to VZW tonight after work the lady said sorry you need to call the insurance company for this nothing we can do

applemac

Reaction score
Maybe the gorilla, kevlar is just too rigid? Maybe they should have a little 'give'? Just thinking. Anyway, I would be SO angry. I would not give up until I got a new phone. Something that expensive should not break that easily. Sorry for you. :frown:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Maybe the gorilla, kevlar is just too rigid? Maybe they should have a little 'give'? Just thinking. Anyway, I would be SO angry. I would not give up until I got a new phone. Something that expensive should not break that easily. Sorry for you. :frown:

Agreed. If there's no external evidence of abuse, it should be covered as a manufacturer's defect. Nothing should cause the internal display screen to crack and yet the Gorilla Glass remains intact. Same goes for a crack that suddenly appears with no impact at all.

The display is "laminated" to the back of the Gorilla Glass, which was done to both reduce space in the phone and (more importantly) to add strength to the display and the entire phone. The only reasonable explanation is that the inner display was stressed during manufacturing, either during the lamination process or when the phone was being assembled.

This is not much different than laminated plywood. One would never expect to have one of the laminate layers suddenly breach with no apparent damage to the other layers.

Fight it and use those arguments.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
I've heard of the Razr's screen actually breaking easily but hadn't heard a specific story. Yours had to be defective or something because I have never heard of one breaking _that_ easily. That is crazy!

Swyped and sent through the interwebz directly to you from somewhere and some device that doesn't concern you!

R

RETG

Sounds like a stress crack. Common with windshields if the exact spec for the glass is too large for the enclosure of the windshield frame. The enclosure presses against the edges of the glass and the slightest pressure increase will cause it to crack to relieve the pressure. With a vehicle a big bump, I guess with a phone a slight jar when dropping a distance.

kparks

Reaction score
I would try to get it replaced free.. it def sounds like a defect in the phone

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

SASChii

Reaction score
I have to chime in on this. The crack in the glass is on the outside. There is no glass on the inside because the display is AMOLED. The AMOLED is a new technology of display that uses Organic LED or OLED. Organic LED displays are flexible. Samsung has made advancements on this technology and they demonstrate people using a hammer on the display without any damage. Samsung also demonstrates how the OLED display will bend and wrap around objects because the the display is inside a film of polymer plastic. In this case, the AMOLED use a substrate that is underneath the TFT layers. Even if the substrate was damaged, you wouldn't see it affecting the display. I have a crack on my Razr after it fell of my lap and hit the concrete. the crack on my phone is where the haptic touch buttons are at the bottom that stretch across thescreen from a L to R fasion. This crack was caused because the glass was under stress and the delamination between the glass and the display is a clear evidence that the Gorilla Glass is just that...glass. the phone still works, but I feel that my finger gets a little shave due to the bevel that is now created. If they didn't have the glass going over the buttons, this crack could have been avoided.

Sadahiro

Reaction score
Usually the people at the Verizon stores don't know ****. I went into an VZ store and asked the lady if they had Matte screen protectors and had no clue what I was talking about.