Usefulness of Droid 1 SD Card?

cyber punk

Reaction score
I've had my Droid for 6 months and never used the SD Card. Am I missing out? My phone has about 100mb of internal storage left, so storage isn't critical yet. But it seems like I should be using the SD card for something.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
I've had my Droid for 6 months and never used the SD Card. Am I missing out? My phone has about 100mb of internal storage left, so storage isn't critical yet. But it seems like I should be using the SD card for something.
Most of my card is used by backups and various update.zip files. I'm starting to put apps there too now that "internal" space is dwindling.

IanG

Reaction score
Music, Photos, etc are all stored on the SD card if I'm not mistaken.

srroos

Reaction score
Backups, photos, music (cached from Subsonic), ROMs, themes, you name it! The SD card is great since it survives a full wipe of the phone. Always handy to be able to carry everything you need to recover your phone with your phone. Unless I somehow managed to screw up the phone so bad I needed to flash an SBF file I can tinker to my heart's content!

OP
C

cyber punk

Reaction score
Okay, that makes sense. I don't use my phone to listen to music or watch movies. So I guess I won't be using the SD card.

I use a dedicated MP3 player for for music because I want to save my Droid's battery. Also, I don't understand why anyone watches movies on smartphones with their relatively small screens -- except maybe to pass the time during a flight or something like that . . .

shmoo

Reaction score
For school a lot of times ill just ye my phone as a flash drive too. Makes one less thing I have to carry in my pocket

srroos

Reaction score
Okay, that makes sense. I don't use my phone to listen to music or watch movies. So I guess I won't be using the SD card.

I use a dedicated MP3 player for for music because I want to save my Droid's battery. Also, I don't understand why anyone watches movies on smartphones with their relatively small screens -- except maybe to pass the time during a flight or something like that . . .

I agree about the videos. Though if you encode a video for the droid's screen size, they look amazing!

If you have a power source available most of the time, you might tend to use your phone for more. I have a charger at work and home and I try to keep the phone topped off so I don't have to worry about juice.

Droidfish

Reaction score
If you ever tranfer any digital data the sd card on your phone is ideal because its always with you. I live a data intensive life thru work, hobbies, and music and I use my phone to move/store a ton of crap.

Also one of the main reasons I wanted to jump to a smart phone as capable as the droid was to take the place of my mp3 player, I listen to music throughout most of the workday and usually have around 30%+/- when I plug in at night.

These are my uses typical uses for me personally though. I guess what I'm trying to say is can I have your 16g mini sd?:)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score

Alot of apps use the sdcard for various purposes. The camera uses the sdcard. You'll be using it more than you think.

As for why people watch movies on smartphones? Well, why not? The big deal about the old iPod Video was that you could watch movies on it, and that screen makes the Droid's screen look HUGE.

iPirate

Reaction score
take the SD card out and you will see how useful it is when you get a popup every 5 seconds about it being missing... :p

brando56894

Reaction score
You use it everyday whether you know it or not. Its the only read/write non system space that you have access to.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
like others have said music/movies/data

i have about 25 gigs of music and movies on mine then about 4 gig of data/backups