used the $5 sholes mod update but whent back to stock

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by joker402, Feb 4, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. joker402

joker402 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For one, my phone kept restarting. Two the browser was so slow it seemed like I was on at&t, and three I was OC too 1g and it still seemed to act slow.

Is there any way to keep the same 2.0.1 I have now and OC to 1g with out having to run b'ing bagel? Can I use the sholesmod update for anything else or to go what I want?
  2. wil318466

wil318466 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Did you do a clean wipe when installing? Some people have issues. I had the same 3g issues, same restarting.

Did you wipe all data, including the cache and system folder, and then manually reinstall all apps from Market?

-Wil
  3. sincal

sincal Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did this and I too have the exact same problems... Im on the borederline of going back to stock.

Edit.. when i tried to reflash.. I had to redownload the rom.. is that nessassary??? shouldnt I just be able to reboot hold X and it should bring up the /?\ ??? Mine just boots normal when holding the X
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  4. cplus

cplus Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you are at stock like the title says then you can do this:

Start by going to this thread and completing steps 1-35. Note: For step 1, you will only need to download the first three files listed.

Then, download this file. More info about it can be found at this thread.

Extract the file so now you have a folder named evilboot-nand-1g.

Create a folder on the root of your sdcard called 'nandroid'.

Move the evilboot-nand-1g folder to the 'nandroid' folder you just created on your sdcard.

Reboot into recovery and choose advanced nandroid restore.

Choose the backup named evilboot.

Uncheck 'system' . Uncheck 'data'.

Restore backup.

Reboot.

Download setcpu and choose to 'auto-detect.'

There, i think that should get ya done.
  5. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The first install, I put the 2.1 launcher/app draw on.... I also hand installed that one before; for some reason, at least for me, 2.1 launcher 'breaks' the phone. Constant restarts, it's slowly and laggy as crap.

So I reinstalled and chose the 2.0.1 launcher, haven't had a problem.
  6. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Joker,

the short answer is yes, as Cplus posted, You can also just manually flash image the .img files yourself through adb (or perhaps terminal).

Which ever way you decide to go, when going above 900 I like to recommend to folks to make sure you have perhaps the 8, certainly the 9 that you know works and then the 1gig, all on your sd card. Everyone's phones are slightly different, and some will flat out not run with 1 gig. If your phone is less tolerant to the higher speeds, you could end up in boot loop, and having those lower speed files, be they nandroid or .img files sitting on your sd card will make getting out of a potential boot loop easier.

Craig
  7. joker402

joker402 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I think ima just leave it as untill I read up enough on how to flash the files.
  8. andross77

andross77 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I did the same. Downloaded it because it sounded amazing and it was slow as heck, FC a ton and i had my first random reboot just in the middle of doing nothing on my phone. 2.1 was super slow as well. I had it at 1ghz as well.

So i rolled back to Beast 7.3 (7.4 was giving me contact issues for some reason) @ 1.1ghz and i haven't found one buck yet and no FC or reboots. I will stick with this until others get more stable.
  9. andross77

andross77 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i thought this too so i reinstalled and chose 2.0.1 launcher only and same slowness and another reboot. ?? I wanted to like this rom. guess i have to wait a few versions for it to get stable.

The reason i got so excited about bagel was that i read somewhere for the OC kernel they are using 2.0.1 instead of the 2.0 taz is using. I think that is the reason i'm getting fuzz/cackle every minute or so on my phone calls now. Not a huge annoyance but it wasn't there before the OC. I love the speed too much to go back to 550 but i hope to get a fix to the phone issue soon.

Didn't have a chance to try out the phone on Bagel since it was too slow and FC on me. :(
  10. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Joker,

Your response refreshes my perception of board humanity. Understanding it can be done, and wanting to research more before doing, refreshing.

Cplus's method is no harder than doing a nandroid install of a rom, and if you are this far, you will understand quickly. The flash image method requires understanding adb and/or terminal and is a great skill set if you want to push your hacking down the road. And in my time spent on the boards, seems like 900 has been safe for everyone. A few have reported problems at 1 gig, and if you go higher, it's a crap shoot:)

Craig
  11. Tatootie

Tatootie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just curious - but did you install the JIT option when installing Shols new rom? He recommneds getting rid of it, very unstable. Mine was doing the random reboots until I got rid of the JIT..
  12. HMJB

HMJB Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yea dont use JIT, it isnt stable yet, its mostly for those who want to increase their droids epeen for a few minutes for a benchmark but its not for everyday use.....yet
  13. wil318466

wil318466 Member

Ratings:
    +0

You didn't install it correctly.

Read this : ESPECIALLY the delete Cache and system lines. I had the same issues as you, you need to install it THIS way for a full clean install.

1.) Download Nandroid Backup *.zip
    2.) Unzip *.zip File
    3.) Place unzipped folder in "nandroid" folder on your SD Card
    4.) Reboot into SPRecovery v0.99.2b (Thanks to SirPsychoS!!)
    5.) Select "Backup/Restore"
    6.) Select "Advanced Nandroid Backup"
    7.) Select ALL options for Backup (System, Data, Misc, Cache, Boot, Recovery)
    8.) Name your backup whatever you want (This is a backup of your old OS, data, everything.)
    9.) Select "Perform Backup"...
    10.) Return to the main SPRecovery Screen
    11.) Make sure your computer is connected to your phone and you have ADB installed
    12.) In your command prompt in your SDK Tools directory... type the following commands...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Code:
    C:\sdk\tools> adb shell
    # format SYSTEM:
    # exit
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

**** If you are upgrading your WiFi Tether, have trouble booting up (the first time you boot up takes time) or are coming from Android 2.1... You may have to perform the following commands...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]Code:
    C:\sdk\tools> adb shell
    # format DATA:
    # format CACHE:
    # exit
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13.) Select "Advanced Nandroid Restore"
    14.) Select "Choose Backup" and select the one you downloaded.
    15.) Choose ONLY "System" and "Boot" to be restored. (I only provided those two, keep your Data. (Unless you are upgrading WiFi Tether from previous version - you must wipe.)
    16.) Select "Perform Restore"...
    17.) Wait for SPRecovery to finish... then press your top power button twice to return to the main menu.
    18.) Select "Reboot".
    19.) Give it a minute or two the first time to boot all the way...
    21.) Follow instructions below on Enabling Overclocking...
  14. andross77

andross77 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Where the heck did you get all those instructions? they are not at sholes.info and i followed those instructions perfectly. i haven't had to use adb shell for anything yet. just better terminal emulator and nandroid.
  15. wil318466

wil318466 Member

Ratings:
    +0