Used ROM Manager to install Liquid and I'm borked

sudermatt

Reaction score
I am putting it here because I was on CM7. I'm not sure which nightly, but it was pretty recent.

I was in ROM manager and selected the latest Liquid ROM (3.07).
clear Delv cache....go.

The install seemed to go fine but when the phone booted I got the Motorola symbol....never went any further...I waited 10 minutes.

I went into recovery (X-power) and I got the dreaded triangle of death.
I've pulled and restarted several times....nothing is working.

Now what?

havens1515

Reaction score
it should go into CWM every time it boots. If you can get into CWM recovery, flash /BootManager/phoneRom/update.zip and you will be back to your phone ROM (CM7.) If you can't get into CWM, you can try it from stock recovery, but I don't think it will work. If that doesn't work, you may have to sbf, in which case I hope you made a backup.

lizard

Reaction score
You mean triangle with exclamation point in it? Press the magnifying glass on your slide out keyboard, this should take you into stock recovery. Wipe data/clear cache, reboot.

Sent from my rooted, and CM7 rommed, Droid2

havens1515

Reaction score
lizard's solution actually should work too. Should get Liquid to boot. If that doesn't work, try my solution to get back to CM7.

lizard

Reaction score
Sorry I see what you mean. I never tried to boot into stock recovery on this rom. I had same thing but I pulled battery and it hung for a second then booted up. I'm not on fresh install either tho.

lizard

Reaction score
I believe there are problems when going from certain roms to certain other roms. Pretty sure CM7 for Gingerbread on D2 was ported from the DroidX. Not sure about the rom you tried to flash, but if it was for instance based off of the Droid2 "framework" it may not flash on properly if you don't sbf first anyway. I'm not an expert this is only my second rom. You may have to sbf now as the other poster stated.

havens1515

Reaction score
Sorry I see what you mean. I never tried to boot into stock recovery on this rom. I had same thing but I pulled battery and it hung for a second then booted up. I'm not on fresh install either tho.

Since he's using Boot Manager, it's supposed to default to boot to CWM recovery on every boot, in case there are issues. This is specifically so that you can flash that file if any problems occur.

I believe there are problems when going from certain roms to certain other roms. Pretty sure CM7 for Gingerbread on D2 was ported from the DroidX. Not sure about the rom you tried to flash, but if it was for instance based off of the Droid2 "framework" it may not flash on properly if you don't sbf first anyway. I'm not an expert this is only my second rom. You may have to sbf now as the other poster stated.

Even though it was ported from the DX, they have to rebase it from the D2 framework to get it to work. You should be able to switch from one ROM to another without any problems, unless they are based on a different kernel. Which brings me to another question for the original poster... are you on the official CM7 builds from cyanogenmod's website, or are you on RevNumbers' unofficial builds? The official builds will not work with BootManager because they are based on the Froyo kernel. But Rev's builds are based on the GB kernel and uses 2nd init to work. I'm pretty sure the instructions for BootManager on the D2 state that your phone ROM MUST be a 2nd-init ROM for it to work. Therefore, if you are on the official builds, BootManager may not work.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
When you get the Triangle with '!' if pressing the magnifying glass doesn't work try pressing the down volume key to get into recovery.