Used Motorola Droid RAZR unable to make or receive calls using Verizon

nejj2211

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
After damaging the screen on my Samsung Galaxy, I recently purchased a used Motorola Droid RAZR through Amazon. The phone appeared to be in great condition.

At a Verizon store, a tech person put SIM card from the Samsung into the Droid.
After activating, texting and data worked fine, but I am unable to receive or make calls. Verizon store told me the phone likely had a "radio issue," and said I should buy from another used vendor.

I didn't want to give up just yet so I called Verizon 611 support. They attempted to reconnect me to the network and tower, but this did not work. I also tried to reinsert the SIM card, reboot, restore factory settings.

A few things I noticed:

-When I called Verizon 611 support, they thought I was calling from a number I did not recognize. The phone number from my previous phone appears as expected under Status > My phone number, but for some reason Verizon sees someone else's number when I call.

-Under Status > Network I see Unknown.

-The Verizon tech person said the IMEI and ICCID were appearing as expected.

-Under Mobile Network settings, Network operators is greyed out.

-After phone powers up, I see Preparing SD Card. Then this message disappears.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'm unsure if this is related to a phone setting, hardware, SIM card, Verizon setup issue, etc.

Thanks!

bruben7886

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Try a new sim card. Any Verizon store will give you one. Should be free. Then try a factory data reset after the new sim is installed. You might still have some of the previous owner's "junk" floating around in the phone.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Does the IMEI and ICCID match the phone's barcode label?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Try a new sim card. Any Verizon store will give you one. Should be free. Then try a factory data reset after the new sim is installed. You might still have some of the previous owner's "junk" floating around in the phone.
I would use rsdlite and flash the phone to stock. No idea what the previous owner may have done.

OP
N

nejj2211

Reaction score
Current Phone Model

I'm going to try this today.

OP
N

nejj2211

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I would use rsdlite and flash the phone to stock. No idea what the previous owner may have done.
May try if SIM card replacement doesn't work. Do you think this could jeopardize my ability to return the phone to Amazon?

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
May try if SIM card replacement doesn't work. Do you think this could jeopardize my ability to return the phone to Amazon?
No. It will be like taking it out of the box day 1.

OP
N

nejj2211

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
OK, I may try that. Put in new sim card and it is stuck on activating...

OP
N

nejj2211

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Also, may be worth noting I am pretty much consistently getting 1X signal strength. Does this support the Verizon store tech's suspicion there is something wrong with the phone?