Use WiFi instead of 3G

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by grizgrin, Nov 13, 2010.

1. grizgrin

grizgrin New Member

I travel abroad all the time, so being able to use Android MArketplace, as well as have my email and SMS update/ come over WiFi would be invaluable to me. Would love to be able to use Skype so I could actually use the phone overseas as well. As it stands currently I have to switch back to my BB Tour whenever I travel. This sucks cause I love my Droids! I have a Droi X I use as my main phone, but my Droid is the one I would be willing to root if I have to to get these functions working. Any suggestions?
  2. Jale

Jale Member

You'll need a modified version of Skype to run over WiFi. Your email should come-in once you're connected to the internet with a WiFi link.
  3. Quicksilver7714

Quicksilver7714 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

There has to be a way to turn off 3g in the settings some were so you don't get charged for data. It was in the wireless network setting on my Droid but its not there on my Droid X.
    I know that you can have the phone in airplane mode with wifi turned on but then you cant receive calls.
  4. zachkohn

zachkohn New Member

Go to data manager/data delivery/
    uncheck data over mobile network

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  5. grizgrin

grizgrin New Member

Jale: any idea where I can pick up a copy of such a modded Skype? Also, the part aout email was right. I started getting email from my gmail account, but my yahoos are all down. It says it could not connect to server. One weird thing I noticed; the pasworrd, while not shown, was like a dozen digits too long. I corrected it, retyped in; but still would not connect. Same on my other 2 yahoo accounts.

zack: it is unchecked.
  6. Bear in NM

Bear in NM Active Member

If you are willing to try an app to control your connectivity, rooted, Droidwall from the market allows for complete data control. You can whitelist or blacklist to control every app on the phone. While I have not used it abroad, I use it when I go into the mountains out of coverage. As an example, it allows me to play music and use GPS while locking down all other connectivety. And if I find a spot with 1x coverage, I can choose just to allow email to connect, as I do not care about market or other syncing. This approach will not help the OP with the wifi side of things, but for those of you looking to finetune your connectivity, it is great.

Craig
  7. jlutz555

jlutz555 New Member

To disable 3g data and still use wifi, you need to enable airplane mode, then manually re-enable wifi.
  8. Quicksilver7714

Quicksilver7714 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

I thought I saw it some where i just forgot. Thanks
  9. grizgrin

grizgrin New Member

zachkohn: I totally misread the last step in your suggestion. I thought you were talking about data roaming. I have no option in Data Delivery for Data Over Mobile Network. My options under Data Delivery are Background Data, Data Roaming, Email and Corporate Sync, and Social Applications. Next time I'll read first, sorry.

Any ideas why I wouldnt have this Data Over Mobile Network option?
  10. zachkohn

zachkohn New Member

I updated to froyo. Not sure what version you have.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App
  11. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

skype can't use wifi lol?
  12. grizgrin

grizgrin New Member

Nope, prevents people from circumventing minutes plans etc...
  13. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I lolled at that, too, a year ago when it was true. No longer true, though. There are two versions of Skype, currently. "Skype Mobile" and "Skype"

"Skype Mobile" is only available on Verizon and was released a long time ago (almost a year?). It allows you to make Skype to Skype and Skype out calls, but it will ONLY work over data/voice (will NOT work on wifi). It will also charge you minutes for Skype-Out calls (Skype-To-Skype is free, however). This is not because Verizon wants to prevent you from using Skype over Wifi, but because of the way the app works. The app uses data to set up the call, but then initiates (or receives) a VOICE call to a special number. That call is then subtracted from your bill automatically. The conversion to/from Skype happens on the other end. Because of that, there's no reason for it to work over Wifi - it needs to make a voice call to work, so it requires that you have signal. It COULD be possible for them to re-write it to make the initial request over Wifi instead of 3G, but there's no point, really - the call itself goes over voice, so it would be misleading to say that it "works on wifi".

"Skype", on the other hand, is available for a number of android devices. In the US, it is limited to using only Wifi, but it can use cellular data in other countries (or if you have a hacked version of it). This version does the type of skype you expect - actually performing the conversion of voice to IP on the handset, allowing you to use it any time you have wifi access, even if there is no cellular signal.

"Skype Mobile" is nice if you want to make free Skype-To-Skype calls instead of a phone call from an area where you have cell reception. Because it uses the normal voice channel, the quality is actually pretty good, compared to normal Skype. If you are using night or weekend minutes, you can use Skype-Out to make international calls at the Skype rate instead of the Verizon rate. If you're not on night or weekend, though, you'll be paying for both domestic minutes on Verizon AND the skype international minutes for the same call.

"Skype" is good for Skype to Skype or skype-out calls over WiFi. Good if you don't have cellular data, are in a low-signal or no-signal area (like out of the country).

Hope that clears up any confusion! One version won't work on wifi, the other ONLY works on wifi. Kind of funny, really.
  14. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

Just so odd I mean I just use skype for chat purposes on my PC, I think one time I used it for a call when I had a headset. Just odd they would make me wait for the slow data transfer over 3g just to talk to friends/colleagues.
  15. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

Did you read the post right above yours?

There is no data transfer over 3G.

The Skype Mobile app goes over voice, not 3G. It makes a phone call. full-blown Skype only works on wifi - it won't use 3G unless you hack it.

EDIT: or did you mean like, typing chat (as opposed to voice-chat)? I'm not sure why they can't just do typing-chat over either wifi or 3G - probably because they were focused on the voice bit
Search tags for this page

android use wifi instead of 3g

android use wifi instead of data

android wifi instead of 3g
droid use wifi instead 3g

how to use wifi instead of 3g on android

how to use wifi instead of data on android

how to use wireless instead of 3g

use wifi instead of 3g android

use wifi instead of data
use wifi instead of data android
use wifi on droid instead of 3g