"Use the search button" replies rant

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
this has caused an unintended consequence that is almost self defeating.

For example

Say I want to tether my phone to my wii/ps3/xbox 360. Has anyone actually forum searched or google searched that? all it leads to is a thread on a forum asking the question, which is followed up by "this has been discussed, used the search" Whenever you use the search, you are just led to 1000 threads that say use the search and no real answers.

before the easy root button, I would have dared you to ask "how do you root" because that leads to many of the same such threads.

installing roms/themes/kernals just lead to threads where everyone knows how but explaining how is another issue altogether.

those are the few things I can think of. And I know there are a gazillion "will verizon charge me if I tether" threads out there though

z96Cobra

Reaction score
If you run into that issue when doing a search, look at the oldest threads first. The results are listed with the newest posts first, so just start at the other end.

Roger

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
if you really want to know, just ask and ill answer. but people who put "hey guys whats root? -sent from tapatalk" - deserve to get the "go search" answer.

warrior21

Reaction score
Most of the time somebody will at least provide a link when they answer or try to point someone in the right direction. There are a few questions that will always draw the negative answers because they have been beat to death on here and have been answered plenty of times.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
use Google to search, just add DroidForums as the end of your search query. Works like a charm.

btw... moved to off-topic.

OP
M

mcatdtDroid

Reaction score
I hear ya'll.... just something I noticed when trying to hook up my wii. Every link provided is sent to another thread asking, with a link provided, etc.

But I agree on the stupid questions. Not all are so complicated as the tethering debate, root, or roms/themes/kernals.

Just something I noticed... not really something I'm upset with by any means.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

For example

Say I want to tether my phone to my wii/ps3/xbox 360. Has anyone actually forum searched or google searched that? all it leads to is a thread on a forum asking the question, which is followed up by "this has been discussed, used the search" Whenever you use the search, you are just led to 1000 threads that say use the search and no real answers.

before the easy root button, I would have dared you to ask "how do you root" because that leads to many of the same such threads.

installing roms/themes/kernals just lead to threads where everyone knows how but explaining how is another issue altogether.

those are the few things I can think of. And I know there are a gazillion "will verizon charge me if I tether" threads out there though

Why would you want to tether your phone to your Xbox/PS3? I thought you were out stealing everyone's girl, while we were all "stuck in the house" playing Black Ops.

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted

For example

And (IMHO) this is the downfall of a forum that is the 'friendliest' android forum online. As far as searching the threads here.

Diordna

Reaction score

For example

Why would you want to tether your phone to your Xbox/PS3? I thought you were out stealing everyone's girl, while we were all "stuck in the house" playing Black Ops.

Lmao! True this ;)

But it's ok he has time she is like 4 hours away or something lol!

tigerdango

Reaction score
Bah. They should have skipped Black Ops and went straight into MW3.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
To the OP: Actually I somewhat have to change my earlier post in this thread. Since this is one of the friendliest forums in the world, I really NEVER see anyone just tersly reply, "Use the search button". In fact, AFAIK, that sort of behavior is frowned upon here. In fact even a terse "Read. The. Thread. This situation has been covered many, many times already in this thread" type of reply is never seen here. Even when the latest poster's question has been answered in the post just above theirs. Regardless of whether the thread is 5, 15, 50, or 100 pages long. So, in reality, I have no idea what you're ranting about, since I haven't seen those types of posts/replies here.

On the other hand if your rant is about the variability of the accuracy of the search results themselves, well perhaps this is why . . . . .

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Please refer to my sig that reads "Please Read" This is the kind of prevailing attitude I've seen here mostly. Of course there will be the occasional terse comment to search but it's always quickly met with an apology.

I'm proud to say we have some of the BEST members of an online forum I have ever come across. I don't just say that because I'm a member here neither. Everyone here is so amazing and friendly that it has been a great home for me.

Anyway check out my sig "Please Read" and pass it on.