Use the internet of the computer using WIFI ad-hoc

dimecyborgs

Reaction score
Hi,

I am interested in knowing a solution to setup my moto milestone to use the internet of my laptop. Currently the laptop is connected to the internet wired connection.

I tried using Virtual access point. But milestone did not detect the wifi signal.

Is there any known solution for this setup.

erikfig

Reaction score
Why would you do such thing as that? If you have internet in your computer already?

Do you mean giving internet access to your computer through your phone? If that the case use wifi tether app is free on the markes, you need to be rooted.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
I think he wants the droid to connect to the laptop via wifi and use the laptops internet connection. Seems like a reasonable request if he is in an area of poor 3G. Should be able to do it, but you may need some additional software/hardware on the laptop to enable it to act as a wifi access point.

mskks64

Reaction score
If you aren't rooted you then you can use easytether or pdanet

ruinah

Reaction score
I will chime in here with a software called Connectify. Great little piece of software. Allows you to set up a quick access point off the laptop that you can then tether the Droid to so you can do what you are looking to do. Easy setup, secure, and free. I use this when I am in a hotel room so that I can hook up my laptop to the hotel internet and then I tether my Droid, ipod Touch, and anything else that is wifi to that signal. It's my own access point at that point. Most hotels want to charge you a nightly rate per mac address but this allows you to get around that. It may be windows 7 only, I can't remember. Works flawlessly though with all my mobile gadgets and toys. Once I even had enough signal so a co-worker could share the same connection from down the hall.

Where did you Connectify Today?: Connectify 2.1 Beta 1 Available

OP
D

dimecyborgs

Reaction score
I haven't tried connectify yet. I am using windows xp and ubuntu desktop. Connectify does not work in windows xp. At the same time I tried the alternative named virtual access point 2.2 . It works and wifi analyzer identifies the signal but the android wifi does not detect it.

To be clear. I am trying to use the internet connection in the laptop.

I might have to search for some open source "Software Based Wifi Router"