Use of a Droid without a service

banco

Reaction score
Can a droid be used without a phone service? Specifically, could I use a droid for the calendar and contact applications and be able to sync these with my gmail account (only via wifi) without activating the phone with any service? (This would allow my wife to carry a calendar and contacts with her. She doesn't want a cellphone.)
Thanks.

Shockwave2.3.5

Reaction score
Yes you can use a droid without activating it, you can do everything that you can on any droid except make calls send text and pics, other than that everything else works the same as long as you have Wi-Fi.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

leftspin

Reaction score
absolutely. I keep my old one on airplane mode all the time unless it's using wifi and use it as an MP3 player, much nicer than any iPod :)

CANN0N

Reaction score
a droid without service is basically androids ipod touch. when connected to wifi u can do pretty much anything, even make n receive calls n text thru acouple apps. its awsome

*EDIT* My phone got shut off for a couple weeks and with google voice n groove ip i was making and receiving calls with no problems at all.. as long as i was connected to wifi, which is just about everywhere nowadays. google voice lets u pick whatever number u want n u even get voicemail. when i get a new phone im going to cancel my home phone service n just use my OG Droid as my home phone n save $$$!!

Last edited:

mifrett

Reaction score
absolutely. I keep my old one on airplane mode all the time unless it's using wifi and use it as an MP3 player, much nicer than any iPod :)

My 9-year-old really wanted an iPod Touch for Christmas. However, since my ex got an iPhone through work, I figured we could use his old DROID X as a Droid version of the iPod Touch. He cleared his things off the phone and we gave it to her for Christmas. The problem we're having is that any time she tries to do anything - visiting the Marketplace or downloading something - using wifi, she gets a message that she needs to setup a Google account. When we try to do this, we get an error that it can't connect to the servers. I am so not a tech idiot, but I am obviously missing something. Any suggestions?

leftspin

Reaction score
My 9-year-old really wanted an iPod Touch for Christmas. However, since my ex got an iPhone through work, I figured we could use his old DROID X as a Droid version of the iPod Touch. He cleared his things off the phone and we gave it to her for Christmas. The problem we're having is that any time she tries to do anything - visiting the Marketplace or downloading something - using wifi, she gets a message that she needs to setup a Google account. When we try to do this, we get an error that it can't connect to the servers. I am so not a tech idiot, but I am obviously missing something. Any suggestions?

Make sure the wifi network has an internet connection, or maybe try creating a gmail account on a regular computer and then signing into it on the phone. Other than that I'd say give the standards a try- reboot, clear cache (for both the market app and the phone itself), factory reset (try them one at a time, in that order)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Make a gmail account on your pc and you should be fine

Droidhelper12

Reaction score
How to setup droid market

Ok... There is a setting that sais somthing about allow data something like that you need to tell it yes so that ittl take a gmail account just look through your settings till you find it hoped this helped

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Take a look at either the:

Samsung Galaxy Player
Sony Walkman Z Series

Both are these are technically MP3 players, but they run Android, and you get all the good stuff.