use mp3 for alarm clock

Reaction score
Several ways I think. Trying to remember exactly how I did this. use the astro app to explore your SD card. make a new folder called music and you should be able to pick your mp3. been a long time since I did that.

I use an app called Better Alarm now and in the set alarm setting screen there is an option to select music. You should be able to select any song from the music folder on SD card.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
make a folder on your SD card 'media' and in it put a folder 'alarms' and put mp3s in there... try that (if your rooted you can just put them in the system)

mmarhcs

Reaction score
I'm using the radio app. Stitcher. The app allows you to make a "favorite" choice which will start playing on launch.

Is there a way to use the alarm app. which comes with the Droid and appears when docked to launch Stitcher and therefor the "favorite" program as my alarm? I want to wake up to NPR, or ESPN or something that I choose rather than a single alarm or song.

Brokn68

Reaction score
make a folder on your SD card 'media' and in it put a folder 'alarms' and put mp3s in there... try that (if your rooted you can just put them in the system)
+1 that's how I did the non rooted version.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm using the radio app. Stitcher. The app allows you to make a "favorite" choice which will start playing on launch.

Is there a way to use the alarm app. which comes with the Droid and appears when docked to launch Stitcher and therefor the "favorite" program as my alarm? I want to wake up to NPR, or ESPN or something that I choose rather than a single alarm or song.

Haven't seen such an app but it's a great idea.

dkelly701

Reaction score
You can get an app called rings extended. Once installed it will allow you to choose any mp3 on your phone as an alarm, notification, etc. That way, you don't need the same mp3 in two different folders on you SD card.

pudah

Reaction score
Ringdroid also allows you to choose files and set as notifications, but it also allows you to select clips of the song so you have a small file and play just the part you want. You can save it as a ringtone, notification, or back as a music file and use the app like an editor.

dkelly701

Reaction score
I have both Ringdroid and Rings Extended installed. I don't see the ability to choose an mp3 as a timer alarm using Ringdroid. You can create a new ringtone with Ringdroid and then use that new edit as a notification. Am I missing something?

With Rings Extended, when you go to select your ringtone in whatever app, you get a choice of Android System or Rings Extended. If you choose Rings Extended, you can choose any mp3 on your phone. Doing it this way doesn't create a new file, it just uses the existing one. Of course, the mp3 starts at the beginning so you don't get to choose a certain spot in the song. I use Rings Extended to choose a song for my alarm and that way, I get a long alarm notification.

Ringdroid also allows you to choose files and set as notifications, but it also allows you to select clips of the song so you have a small file and play just the part you want. You can save it as a ringtone, notification, or back as a music file and use the app like an editor.

MaxBobcat

Reaction score

yeah download AppAlarm.

I use it to wake up to Pandora.

If you download the paid version, you can set it up to open an app anytime you want and run a string of commands (such as open a favorite and play).

As for the OP's question, it's real easy.

Just go to the stock music player, open up a song and press the menu button down at the bottom of your phone and click on 'Use as ringtone'. Boom, it will show up as a ringtone on the stock Alarm Clock ringtone alarms.

pudah

Reaction score
I have both Ringdroid and Rings Extended installed. I don't see the ability to choose an mp3 as a timer alarm using Ringdroid. You can create a new ringtone with Ringdroid and then use that new edit as a notification. Am I missing something?

With Rings Extended, when you go to select your ringtone in whatever app, you get a choice of Android System or Rings Extended. If you choose Rings Extended, you can choose any mp3 on your phone. Doing it this way doesn't create a new file, it just uses the existing one. Of course, the mp3 starts at the beginning so you don't get to choose a certain spot in the song. I use Rings Extended to choose a song for my alarm and that way, I get a long alarm notification.

You just select a mp3 and save it as a notification or alarm.

mmarhcs

Reaction score
thanks, will that become the default alarm app. when you dock the phone?

dkelly701

Reaction score
It is amazing how much there is to learn about the android os. I never use the stock music player and didn't know about this feature. I think I still like the versility of Rings Extended, but long pressing the song in the stock music player is nice to know.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

yeah download AppAlarm.

I use it to wake up to Pandora.

If you download the paid version, you can set it up to open an app anytime you want and run a string of commands (such as open a favorite and play).

As for the OP's question, it's real easy.

Just go to the stock music player, open up a song and press the menu button down at the bottom of your phone and click on 'Use as ringtone'. Boom, it will show up as a ringtone on the stock Alarm Clock ringtone alarms.

Give the man a round of applause. :clap: