Use Android? Consider yourself a computer scientist!

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
windows-phone-ballmer-microsoft.jpg

Oh, the strange things that people say. It's interesting how our wagging tongues can flop out the most interesting or inane statements sometimes isn't it? Case in point... Recently at a Web 2.0 conference, Steve Ballmer, the current CEO of Microsoft said the following to Federated Media founder John Battelle during an on stage interview,
“You don’t need to be a computer scientist to use a Windows Phone, but I think you do to use an Android phone. It is very hard to be excited, for me, about the Android phones.”

Yes, Mr. Ballmer, the legion of people out there happily using their Androids are all super-elite nerdy and genius computer scientists, and you wish you lived in a world where Windows Phone 7 is the dominating OS on mobile phones. Oh, but wait... Windows Phone 7 devices' share of the smartphone market recently hit a new low in the second quarter of 2011. It's a shame that reality doesn't match up with your fantasy. It may be hard for you to get excited about Android, but, apparently, for the rest of us, it's harder to get excited about WP7.

Source: Android.net via BGR

Beardface

Reaction score
Sweet.... I needed that on my resume for some jobs for which I've been applying.

Gonna need to update that ASAP

silverfang77

Reaction score
Just the death cries of a foundering behemoth that couldn't adapt to the smartphone market.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk

donzz

Reaction score
I wonder if I can put "Computer Scientist" on my resume? ;)

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I don't have any first-hand experience with Windows CE or Windows Phone 7, but this analogy can be flipped on its head:

Android -> normal people
iOS -> people with IQ between 70 and 100 (i.e., who need devices to make most of the UI choices for them)
WinPhone 7 -> really, really dumb people (i.e., just a few REALLY BIG icons, please)

-Matt

adamwhitehead

Reaction score
Android -> normal people
iOS -> people with IQ between 70 and 100 (i.e., who need devices to make most of the UI choices for them)
WinPhone 7 -> really, really dumb people (i.e., just a few REALLY BIG icons, please)

-Matt

^^^Perfectly sums it up

Sent from my sfd x2 using DroidForums

loki993

Reaction score
windows-phone-ballmer-microsoft.jpg

Oh, the strange things that people say. It's interesting how our wagging tongues can flop out the most interesting or inane statements sometimes isn't it? Case in point... Recently at a Web 2.0 conference, Steve Ballmer, the current CEO of Microsoft said the following to Federated Media founder John Battelle during an on stage interview,

Yes, Mr. Ballmer, the legion of people out there happily using their Androids are all super-elite nerdy and genius computer scientists, and you wish you lived in a world where Windows Phone 7 is the dominating OS on mobile phones. Oh, but wait... Windows Phone 7 devices' share of the smartphone market recently hit a new low in the second quarter of 2011. It's a shame that reality doesn't match up with your fantasy. It may be hard for you to get excited about Android, but, apparently, for the rest of us, it's harder to get excited about WP7.

Source: Android.net via BGR

I'm ok with that. If all I need to qualify to be a CS is a Android phone sign me up. Now whos gonna hire me, I will forward you my update resume. lol

Reaction score
I don't know, but the point I got was that there does take a certain required knowledge to really get the most out of your Android. People that don't like all the complexities that Android has to offer usually end up with an iPhone or another OS that has a much more simple user interface. I know lots of people that don't really enjoy their Android phones to the same degree that I do and that is because they are far from being technical minded, whereas I am a geek. :)

So basically, I would have to agree with Mr. Balmer on that one.

cturcotte224

Reaction score
I'm sending my resume to Microsoft, being a computer scientist now I should be able to get a job there. Thin I can use Mr. Balmer as a reference?

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know, but the point I got was that there does take a certain required knowledge to really get the most out of your Android. People that don't like all the complexities that Android has to offer usually end up with an iPhone or another OS that has a much more simple user interface. I know lots of people that don't really enjoy their Android phones to the same degree that I do and that is because they are far from being technical minded, whereas I am a geek. :)

So basically, I would have to agree with Mr. Balmer on that one.

Heck, I know several "smart" people who chose iPhone over Android, just for the polished UI. They are too busy with their lives to be constantly tweaking their phone. I would equate most of us, on the forum anyway, as more back yard mechanics... we're always popping the hood and changing stuff around.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I'm an engineer not a scientist...must be under qualified for this phone.