Use a task killer or to not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1android

Reaction score
I have always used advanced task killer on my android phones. Lately I have seen/heard reviews that people suggest not using one and if you do, you should uninstall.

Does this use more battery than save?

ultrastigi

Reaction score
Don't use. The phone does everything itself. If you want to kill apps you can do it by going into settings. I don't use. I know alot of people use titanium backup. That you can use to freeze apps and stuff and make backups. But as for taskkiller it's just running to kill apps so it uses more battery to save you battery. Doesn't make sense.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JVince

Reaction score
From what I've read and experience on my D1 the task killer was only really useful for killing apps that wouldn't stop or force close on their own. There was a huge debate over this when the D1 came out since Verizon salespeople were installing the task killer and recommending it, but every IT person I've spoken to points to the internal memory management of the Android OS being able to handle memory allocation much better than a manual task killer. Lately, in reference to the Tbolt, it seems the consensus is that it can REDUCE battery life and shouldn't be used.
If you're curious as to how/why there are some great articles on this debate:
Androinica » Google and Cyanogen comments imply task killer/manager apps are pointless

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Get rid of all task killers/managers PERIOD. They have never been good for android OS, anyone that says different is quite misinformed. Including and most notably Verizon reps.

OP
1android

1android

Reaction score
Ok, makes sense. So I unistalled task killer. Now I have all these apps running. Do I need to adjust my settings in my applications or manage applications to stop these from constantly running? Im looking into rooting my thunderbolt but untill I get more educated on doing so I want to make sure im doing the right things to make my battery last as long as possible.

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok, makes sense. So I unistalled task killer. Now I have all these apps running. Do I need to adjust my settings in my applications or manage applications to stop these from constantly running? Im looking into rooting my thunderbolt but untill I get more educated on doing so I want to make sure im doing the right things to make my battery last as long as possible.

There is nothing to alter, where are u seeing these apps running?

Just leave them alone, the OS will kill them if needed otherwise they will run but not be using any real mem or battery power.

OP
1android

1android

Reaction score
Oh ok. I was looking in my "running services". So I will just leave them alone and my phone will kill off the ones that need to be?

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Yes, and don't get obsessed with what's running, unless you notice your phone acting funny it's all good

garbageman

Reaction score
One peice of advice that I was and will pass on is that is you are worried with apps running after you are done with them use the back button and back all the way out of them instead of hitting the home button. That is what I do now and it has saved a lot of my battery.

Sent for Liberation

Reaction score
Think of Android memory like blocks on a table. You can keep throwing blocks on the table, and sooner or later blocks will fall off to make room for more blocks. There's really no point in pushing all the blocks off the table every time you want to add more because they're just going to fall off anyway when more are added.

MrKleen

Reaction score
Now that you realized that you no longer need to spend any time thinking about running apps you will have lots of time to do things you enjoy.

Now you never have to worry or think about it again. If anything, you can reboot your phone every few days and nothing else ever needs to be done.

IanG

Reaction score

That seems like it does what every other task manager does, which is limit apps from going into the memory or kills them so more can get in there? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, RAM uses little power, not sure why people are so anal about the amount of processes in RAM. I think it matters more if the background programs are using CPU cycles instead of the amount of RAM.

Last edited by a moderator:

welterbf123

Reaction score
I have always used advanced task killer on my android phones. Lately I have seen/heard reviews that people suggest not using one and if you do, you should uninstall.

Does this use more battery than save?

It takes just as much energy to store nothing in memory as it does to store something. So, knowing this Android wisely figures out what apps you use most and it keeps them in memory. Now, along comes the task killer which kills all those tasks. Android now has to reopen them when you want to use them using a lot of power in the process. DON'T USE TASK KILLERS!

Status
Not open for further replies.