USB Wired Tethering using Home WiFi Connection

ShadowBomber

Reaction score
I've searched the vast ends of the internet in search of help for the answer to this. I've yet to find one.

My router is in my room mates room. I have a custom built PC with no Wireless NIC. I would like to have internet on my pc. But I dont want to use the slow 3G connection. I also dont want to be limited as I do tend to torrent a lot.

So I need a program that will use my home wireless on my phone that will allow me to use that wireless while being tethered to my PC.

Any Suggestions?

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I've searched the vast ends of the internet in search of help for the answer to this. I've yet to find one.

Thats usually a good sign it doesnt exist lol.

Why go to all that trouble anyways? Just get a wireless adapter. It just under $22 shipped on NewEgg and has great reviews overall.
Newegg.com - Rosewill RNX-G300EX IEEE 802.11b/g PCI Wireless Card Up to 54Mbps Data Rates 64/128-Bit WEP, 802.1x, WPA, WPA2, AES, TKIP with 100cm cable external 2 dBi Antenna

OP
S

ShadowBomber

Reaction score
It exists for the evo as a main feature. So I was hoping for a program like it for the droid 2.

If i had the money i would buy it. Also wouldnt that take the fun out of it?

DeathGrind

Reaction score
If your roomates router is wireless, Sounds like you want a repeater/bridge. Look up dd-wrt flashed routers on eBay. They cost around 30 bucks. Or if you can find at compatible router and just flash it yourself.

Sent from my ADR6400L

OP
S

ShadowBomber

Reaction score
Yeah Well if i had 30 bucks I'd just buy a usb wireless adapter :p.

Here's what I want to do

1)Home wireless signal from Linksys router
2)Connect to signal on phone
3)Plug USB Cable into phone
4)Plug other end of USB cable into Computer
5)?????
6)SUCCESS!!!!! I have internet without using ****ty 3G

I essentially want to turn my phone into a wired router using my wireless connection.

CD95YJ

Reaction score
I don't know if its possible, every tether app I have used turns off wifi and uses 3g.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
S

ShadowBomber

Reaction score
I know. I have Wireless Tether, PDAnet, Easy Tether, A number of other ones that were just crap. They all only used the 3G. I dont see how it would be so hard to do. But then again I'm no programmer.

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I have the evo app in my phone :p it just wont install :/

It is probably programed specifically for the Evo, which is why I said you will have to port it. You can try to cop it to system/app/ and then try to install it but like I said, your going to most likley have to port it. If it is this important to you, I would suggest you try to come up with the extra $30. you could donate plasma, sell something to a pawn shop, somehting else? Just some ideas. Heck its not pretty but you can buy long Ethernet cable at pretty cheap prices as well.