USB to PC problem

majp89

Reaction score
I have read a few threads in here and none of them seem to answer my question.

I have a Droid Razr, just the standard model, and whenever I connect it to my PC it fails to install the driver. I have the Motorola Driver Software and everything. USB Debugging is enabled. When connected, I don't get any option to switch to mass storage mode on my phone, it just simply charges.

I am using a universal charger, NOT the charger that came with my phone (it is at home) if that helps.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P

I have a Droid Razr, just the standard model, and whenever I connect it to my PC it fails to install the driver. I have the Motorola Driver Software and everything. USB Debugging is enabled. When connected, I don't get any option to switch to mass storage mode on my phone, it just simply charges.

I am using a universal charger, NOT the charger that came with my phone (it is at home) if that helps.

That universal charger is more than likely your problem, probably does not give it enough juice to do anything but charge (and it probably isn't charging it properly either). Either that or your USB port does not have enough power to do anything but charge (again probably not charge well if that is the case).

I would stick to the factory cable and leave out the third party stuff.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score

It could also be the USB cable. The one that came with your universal charger may not be "wired" to enable it to do anything but charge your phone. Do you get the same results when you use the USB cable that came with the phone?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I learned this from FoxKat...but some chargers are only meant for charging bc they don't have the necessary pins (contacts?) for USB transfer. FoxKat can provide better info than I can on this but I'm sure all it is is that your universal cable is only a charging cable.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using DroidForums

OP
M

majp89

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions/feedback.

However, IF by any chance when I go home and I connect my Motorola Charger and it does the same thing, what do you suggest that I do?

eidian

Reaction score

However, IF by any chance when I go home and I connect my Motorola Charger and it does the same thing, what do you suggest that I do?

Use the Motorola cable and you won't have any problems.

What the other member was alluding to is that the micro USB (and other size cables for that matter) have different pin configurations. I was challenged in a similar thread a few weeks ago so I looked up the subject in wikipedia and was amazed by all of the information. Four vs 5 pin configurations are what cause many people woes. FWIW Blackberry cables are compatible with Motorola phones.

Running rooted ICS

jpcalhoun

Reaction score

Make sure you are using the USB cable that came with your phone and that you have the latest Moto drives downloaded and installed on your computer. Given all that, when you plug your phone into the USB cable attached to a USB port on your computer you should get a USB Connection notification on your phone. Drag down the notification bar and press the notification and you should see the Mass Storage option. If that doesn't happen then you either have a faulty cable or you have a faulty USB connector on the phone and/or computer or the drivers did not install correctly.

jch81

Reaction score
yeah its the cable. had the same problem and switched to the original cable that came with the phone. Problem solved.

KGreis

Reaction score
I had the same issue yesterday spent an hour trying to get my laptop to register my razr but it wouldnt work than i tried to usb cable that came with the phone and it worked lol talk about uptight machinery lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums