1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

USB Tethering

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by diafygi, Jan 4, 2010.

1. diafygi

diafygi New Member

EDIT: Project already exists called Android-Wifi-Tether. I will help out with that project instead of creating a new one.

Howdy all,

I am unaware of a usb tethering option for the Droid that doesn't require the Android SDK (AndroidProxy requires the SDK). I was thinking about writing an open source app for it (unlike PdaNet). Basically, it would turn your Droid into a usb modem so you could use it same as Internet Sharing on Windows Mobile.

I know there is wifi-tether, but some people might have laptops/computers without wifi (older work laptops, etc.). Using the droid as a usb modem and connecting to wifi networks would allow you gain internet access with these older computers.

Currently Verizon broadband tethering is not allowed, so users could only connect to wireless networks. However, when Verizon broadband does become available for purchase, users could use this usb tethering program for that, too.

So, I'd like the help of the community to point me in the right direction. This will be my first app to write for Android. I'm assuming root access will be needed to change some config files.

Questions that need to be answered (I'll update answers here):

• How can a network connection be made over USB?
    • What server is needed to listen for connections to Droid?
    • What client is needed to ask for connection on laptop? Windows and Ubuntu worked with Internet Sharing on Windows Mobile by default. What caused them to work?
    • What root files/programs need to be modified/restarted?
    Thanks all, I'll be posting updates on the project here.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. samiusmc

samiusmc New Member

Just download PdaNet from the Android Market. It works great with my Droid and Verizon said they are aware of it but aren't charging for tethering at this time if you are on an unlimited plan.
  3. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Note that PDANet cost $30 for lifetime use. You can use it to visit http sites for free, but you must pay to visit https sites. That means you can't visit any site that requires a encrypted and secure connection to the server when using the free version. If all you want to do is read ESPN, the free version will be fine. If you ever want to look at your back account, pay bills, etc, you will need the paid version.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  4. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

The $30 covers the cost of the program, Not the Data your could be charged for.
  5. JhankG

JhankG New Member

As long as you're smart about using it, you shouldn't see any charge from Verizon. You could, but it's unlikely if you just use it occasionally to read the news and pay some bills online.
  6. diafygi

diafygi New Member

Guys, this isn't a thread about anti-contract Verizon tethering. It's a technical discussion for developing an open source usb tether app.
  7. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

I'm sure when VZW opens up tethering there will be an app for that...
  8. diafygi

diafygi New Member

It probably won't be open source and probably won't work on Linux, so I think it would be nice to have a free one for Linux and wifi networks (for those who don't pay for Verizon broadband).
  9. dotster77

dotster77 New Member

10. diafygi

diafygi New Member

I have, and it requires Android's SDK to enable port forwarding to the laptop-phone connection. I was hoping to avoid using the SDK since it's a massive download for the laptop side and you have to jump through some hoops to get it working correctly on Ubuntu.

In order to not use the SDK, I think the phone is going to have to have a modem service running. Similar to those DSL modems that offer networking via usb. That's where I'm starting to investigate. How does Internet Sharing work on Ubuntu, and how can we mimic it on the Droid?
  11. diafygi

diafygi New Member

There is apparently a project called Android-Wifi-Tether that is exactly what I am looking for. I will now be focusing my efforts there and assisting in developing that project.
Search tags for this page
att charge usb tethering

does verizon charge for usb tethering

does verizon usb tether mobile broadband connect cost
enable usb tethering verizon droid
port forwarding galaxy s4 usb tethering
port forwarding on the samsung s4 usb tethering
usb tathering windows 8
usb tethering
usb tethering android does not on verizon
usb tethering some programs not connecting to internet
usb tethering that lets me use https