USB settings when mounting to PC

JohnnyD359

Reaction score
Anyone else notice that the USB settings do not always conincide with whats actually happening with your USB connection and SDcard when connected to your computer? I wish I knew more about how these things work,but I know enough to know that when you cant access your pictures on your droid,and you open up the computer folder on the laptop and see a drive G,which is my 16GB Micro sd card from my droid X,the card is "mounted to the pc"....all while in charge only mode....Whats with this? Then if you toggle and put it in PC mode or USB debugging,its actually in charge only mode? The next day it operates as it should...does anyone know why it is this way and if it can be set to work as it should consistently? I fried my sd card in my original droid by yanking the connector,in charge only..... droid wouldnt recongnize it after that,I couldnt mount it,I had to reformat it and lost everything...I lost an entire vacations pictures and videos.So now Im afraid everytime i plug my X into my pc,i cringe and I never pull the connector,until i reboot the phone and I see it prepare the sd card,and shut down,I yank the cable quickly ,and reboot....should it be safe to pull the connector while in charge only,even if the computer is showing a drive G(my card).....

mcsinfl

Reaction score
it's been documented elsewhere that the connection is funky. a couple things to consider: 1. be patient, it sometimes takes several minutes for the correct connection to establish. When in pc/media mode, i always have a windows explorer window open and wait for the droid to show up as a drive named Droid X with a small Droid X phone icon, as opposed to just another drive letter. 2. sometimes I have to switch out of usb debugging for a minute and then turn usb debugging back on.

one last point, my wife lost all her files at one time as well, and I was able to use a data recovery software to recovery all pics/music.

hope this helps

OP
J

JohnnyD359

Reaction score
Thank you. I never see anything in my internet explorer to indicate im plugged in or hooked to droid x....the only way I know is to try to get in my music player or pictures on the X,look in my windows media player,on the pc,it will mount and be ready to sync music,if im mounted...or to look in computer..drive C,and ill see a new drive under it when im mounted....I am not patient when plugging in,I need to have one hand on the mouse,because the second i plug in,the verizon window pops up,and as soon as i close that,the pictures start downloading every time....and thats with it set to do nothing when connected...doesnt matter it does it anyway whenever i hook up or toggle...also it mounts in 2 seconds,even in charge only mode...so whatever its doing,it does it right away...at least in my case...I didnt know you could recover the pictures,I took the damaged SD card to a digital photo store,and a Walmart,neither of them could recover the pictures,or mount to the card,and I didnt know of another way....I love the droid,just figured there had to be a better way to hook up and unhook with the SD card....

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The issue of lost data from sdcard popped up in a thread just a couple days ago. Somebody linked to a droid life thread regarding the "recova " program. I hadn't heard about it, but I was able to use it to recover pics andstuff from my sdcard that were lost from flashing roms on my D1...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

mcsinfl

Reaction score
you won't see anything in internet explorer, I was talking about looking in computer/c drive. when in usb mode, you should see another drive letter. when in media/pc mode, you should see a drive named "droid X" with an icon that looks like your phone.

as for recovering the photos, you have to run a recovery software that will scan the sd card. there are several freeware versions you can find on the internet. I can look at my laptop when I get home tonight and let you know what I used, but I believe I read posts on this forum that named a few different softwares that will work