USB rebooting issue. Need some clarification.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by wil318466, Feb 1, 2010.

1. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

I rooted, installed busybox, transparent window, custom boot animation.. and everything was perfect, until I overclocked.

Here is where I'm confused. I used evilboot8.img, flashed it, installed sholes on top of it, then removed sholes back to my original, and I was getting the reboot issue when I plug in the USB.

So, I went through the entire "how to unroot" and downloaded the update.zip file to get back to stock 2.1. Problem was, it still rebooted once during that time.

What is the issue here? Is it the kernal? I would think I would be 100% back to normal, but I'm thinking maybe the kernal, once flashed, stays that way until it is flashed to something different? Need someone with some expertise here. Please, no theorists, as this is kind of a pain in the butt, and I don't need to be confused more.

Note : phone only really reboots when I plug the USB cord into a computer. Sometimes it will reboot, sometimes it wont'. Sometimes its delayed. When my phone is not plugged into the USB cord I'm fine.

In the end, I can even live with this, but I'd really like to fix it. Also, after going back to stock 2.1, I re-rooted, SPrecovery and all that, then installed bugless beast and recovered ONLY the boot portion to get the overclock. I would think I recovered only the Kernal portion, correct?

-Wil
  2. ZeroTruths

ZeroTruths New Member

I have a feeling that this is just a setting in the system itself.
    Are you able to start up the phone without any problems?

If so, go to Settings > Applications > Development and check to see if "Stay Awake" is enabled.
  3. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Sounds like either the kernel is not being completely over written or you have a hardware issue. I would go COMPLETELY back to stock (i.e. stock recovery images, un-rooting... everything) and see if the issue still repeats (i.e. make sure it's not a newly acquired hardware issue). Then you'll have a clean slate (and if it is a hardware issue you'll have to be completely stock for a warranty replacement anyway.
  4. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

I don't know what that has to do with what I'm asking.. or am I missing something? Its rebooting, not going to sleep.

-Wil
  5. ZeroTruths

ZeroTruths New Member

Oh, sorry about that. I misread the actual setting.
    In that case, I agree with KZIWarrior.
  6. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

Well, following the instructions in the guide to unroot and go back to stock should have taken care of it. The problem here is the kernal. how do I uninstall tasmanian's evilboot8.img kernal?

-Wil
  7. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

I'm searching for that answer... Until then have you replaced the stock backup program and done a restore with the stock image? I would assume that would have taken care of it but maybe not. In nanodroid when you flash the stock ROM make sure "boot" is checked, maybe it had gotten unchecked and wasn't overwriting the kernel.

Dam... I can't find the stock kernel anywhere....

well, worse case just return to stock and return/exchange the device under a hardware fault... not the best solution but.... the other option is to contact one of the guys over at AllDroid and see if any of them can get you a stock kernel.
  8. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

Here ya go bro. This will take you back to stock, and you'll have all your apps. Its like hitting the "reset" button with all the hacks.

*Easiest* way to get back to stock (No root, no busybox)

Warning : if you choose to do a factory data reset, you WILL lose your apps. You can skip that part. Just follow all the other instructions.

-Wil